How many lumens to film video in a cave with a GoPro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaveSloth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is there a certain number of lumens from video lights beyond which would be overkill for using a GoPro Hero 7 Black in a cave environment?

You need a lot of lights, and a lot of planning to place them. At least based on talking to cave video dudes.

Is there a certain number of lumens from video lights beyond which would be overkill for using a GoPro Hero 7 Black in a cave environment?
No.

The problem with trying to give a recommendation is that it all depends on the size of the cave, the quality of the water, the composition/coloring of the walls of the cave, etc.

Plus, there's the whole factor of lumens vs "lumens." So many light mfgs overestimate their light output by double or more. Others spike high and then tail off aggressively very shortly into the dive.

In my limited practice ive found the basic solution is to place a few lights behind what you’re focussed on to illuminate the background and then a light at an angle that reduces splashback on your subject center. Even 1000 lumen lights can get you decent shots if done properly.

I've always just used my generic canister cave light (no clue how many lumens) and my GoPro has produced beautiful results. Never have used a dedicated video light in a cave. My 2psi.

Generally the more the better with a GoPro. In places like Mexico or the Dominican Republic where the walls can be very bright you can get good results with a single low power light. In Missouri caves I need a lot of light due to there being few reflective surfaces. In Florida, generally more is better as you can turn the lights down for small or brighter areas. In larger passages a lot of light is needed to see the sides and top bottom.

My experience, working with videographers, have less Lumens on the camera compared to on the models. There are a lot of variables, as Victor mentioned, however having more Lumens off board has a lot better results. As far as how many we generally run with 5K's on camera and 10K's off however they are often turned down to suit the conditions. Our lights remain constant in Lumen output regardless of battery voltage, others don't.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom