First dive trip to Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely take the ferry to the mainland and do a cenote dive or two. Check out CenoteXperience and schedule some dives with them. Martin is an excellent guide and just an all around nice guy. CenoteXperience - Cavern, Cave and Ocean Diving in Playa del Carmen Yucatan Mexico - Home And while you're on the mainland, walk around in Playa del Carmen and make sure you get some street tacos.

And try to do at least one twilight dive while you're there. I'd almost be willing to bet you'll do more than after the first one. Lots to see at Paradise Reef once the sun sets.

Also, if you can get to it at this point, try to schedule a dive on the C-53 Felipe Xicotencatl wreck.

I really wanted to do this dive I am hoping to get to this one on my trip.

Fajitas at nearby Casa Cozumil were good. Octopus linguini at Kondesa also. Some like Lobster Shack and that’s close - when I was there they only took cash and the hot dipping sauce was very hot. I had lobster burritos. You won’t need a taxi for any of that.
That all sounds great I will most definitely have to check these places out

We are staying at suites Bahia and taxi and walking is probably the mode of transportation
Taxis are generally easy to find when you need to go further than you want to walk. Always agree on the price before you get in. Many drivers will charge more than their rate card says, some much more, but I can't read Spanish so having photos of the card doesn't help me. Ask the hotel clerk what the fare should be. S/he might know.

Pay everything in Pesos for the best prices. Get those with your debit card from a bank ATM only, not a free standing machine as those are dangerous.

Suites Bahia is right on front street (Melgar) at the intersection of Calle 3 (3rd street). Los Otates (they are going thru a forced name change so the sign may have a letter blacked out for now) is one of my favorites for good, cheap food. It's 3 blocks SE along Calle 3, then turn left and go ¼ block NE on 15th Ave. Google maps says a 400 meter hike, and the locations look right on their map - but you have to watch those. Google map locations are controlled by user input, and amateurs keep moving places to wrong location. Facebook pages usually have the correction location.

Wet Wendy's right in front of your hotel
Melgar and the channel are in front of his hotel. I don't know what you're thinking about? Wet Wendy's is on 5th Ave near Calle 2 about 550 meters away.

Odd numbered streets are south of the central plaza, even numbers are north, and there is a significant gap between 1 and 2.

Some like Lobster Shack and that’s close
It's on Calle 3 near his hotel. On my last trip, I was thinking it was on 5th ave, went to the wrong place, ordered a lobster burrito, and it was pathetic. Next time I'll check FB!

I get the Thirsty Cougar and Wet Wendy's mixed up sometimes. The Thirsty Cougar is the one right in front of Bahi . They have similar menus.

Heading to Coz on Dec 7th for my first trip there... Very excited for this trip I have been wondering what type of sea life can I expect to see what should I be on the look out for. Any places that are a must see of food that's a must have ?
Don't run into any reefs :) Current will be fast but you will get used to it - yea do a few twilight dives they are the best!

Back
Top Bottom