Dormant EMC-20H

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghetto Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have 2 Commander versions of these.
AFAIK these aren't the ones with volatile memory. Stored with dead batteries. Installed new, good, batteries and nothing. I have tried removing/reinstalling and temporarily reversing top battery.
Any help appreciated.

I have reached out to mfg, but no response as of yet.

The company has effectively closed the business. They remain open to handle warranty work only, no other service. It's a shame. Mike died and I guess that he was too integral for the business to continue.

Thx.. was not aware of limited service.
I might open/sacrifice one of them.
I have brought back old Uwatecs, maybe I will get lucky.

ETA: not so lucky. That 'block' is a soldered header pin.

I have two EMC-20H units that I've owned for at least a dozen years. I upgraded to Shearwaters years ago but kept diving the Cochrans as backup. Both computers died this year. The first with a faulty temp sensor warning, the second seems to have a wonky LCD display.

If anyone is interested in trying to use these for parts, let me know.

I have two EMC-20H units that I've owned for at least a dozen years. I upgraded to Shearwaters years ago but kept diving the Cochrans as backup. Both computers died this year. The first with a faulty temp sensor warning, the second seems to have a wonky LCD display.

If anyone is interested in trying to use these for parts, let me know.

Does anyone have info on opening these units? It occurs to me I could try to put LCD from the unit with a bad sensor on the other... Nothing to lose but might be helpful to have some servicing docs or tips.

that (no battery) was what doomed my old one (Commander Air).....

Does anyone have info on opening these units? It occurs to me I could try to put LCD from the unit with a bad sensor on the other... Nothing to lose but might be helpful to have some servicing docs or tips.

Nothing out there that I could find.
I just opened both. There is an unsoldered block that connects the lcd unit to the other half of electronics. Both of mine have corrosion on contacts and the 'feet' of the block broke off on some. I am sure I can find a replacement on ebay or elsewhere.
Not giving up yet.
As I mentioned earlier, I believe this models memory is not volatile so I have some hope.

Nothing out there that I could find.
I just opened both. There is an unsoldered block that connects the lcd unit to the other half of electronics. Both of mine have corrosion on contacts and the 'feet' of the block broke off on some. I am sure I can find a replacement on ebay or elsewhere.
Not giving up yet.
As I mentioned earlier, I believe this models memory is not volatile so I have some hope.

I'll give it a try today and see if I can salvage one unit.

I'll give it a try today and see if I can salvage one unit.

I just took apart the two units, no problems there. The surface mount connector on the base of one had loose joints and popped off after trying to swap the screens. Probably why the LCD was failing in the first place. The other base has the bad sensors in it, so I am out of options.

I had one where the battery went flat, after that it flickered the whole time and I didn't trust it though it did look like it was working. Having Cochran fix it was quite expensive at the time, so I bought an OSTC instead

Back
Top Bottom