Revo- Bottom Heavy- Looking to Fix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That being said, one of the "joys" of diving a rEvo is the upright trim and the crappy WOB (comparatively) if you actually get it flat in the water.

Hmm my rEvo breaths well in any position, other than on my back, don't end up in that position very often.

I find 3lb in the top of the unit sorts out.

@Dsix36 is the rEvo expert around here. If anyone is gonna have a real answer short of "ditch the rEvo for a better unit," it's gonna be Don.

That being said, one of the "joys" of diving a rEvo is the upright trim and the crappy WOB (comparatively) if you actually get it flat in the water. Most rEvo divers just live with the fact they're gonna look like a seahorse. I don't agree with it, but that seems to be the consensus based on every rEvo diver photo on the internet. So you might just have to live with it.
I answered him on one of the other forums.

Hmm my rEvo breaths well in any position, other than on my back, don't end up in that position very often.

I find 3lb in the top of the unit sorts out.

i didnt engage on the WOB comment, just dont need the anonymous irrelevant to my issue nonsense. I too love the WOB (except on back as well - upside down is good!).
I had only been in dry suit before going to Bonaire so was tilting up. Didnt need weight but next time may put a few in up top to even out. Thanks for your input.

I already answered on another forum but I will share some info from my early days.

We I first got my rEvo and found myself butt heavy, I merely added 4 pounds of weight to the top tray and my trim was as close to perfect as it has ever been. I could hover 1 inch off the sand and remain perfectly horizontal without any need of movement at all. I really wish I could still do this but now I fight it just like everyone else. From day one, every other rEvo diver was bitching about how they were to heavy and could not add any more weight. I just assumed they were idiots and were afraid to try. When it was time for a new wetsuit was when my perfect trim went away forever. I went from a 3mm to a 5 mm and now I was too heavy in the water AND my feet were sinking. I went back to my old suit and everything was fine for the test. Turns out that the custom made suit from Wetwear being made from rubatex is much more buoyant than even a 5mm suit. All those other "idiot" divers were right all along and I was just lucky to have the wetsuit I did.

I still have the 4 pounds on the top tray but I am over weighted in the ocean with a wetsuit. I could really use at least 2 more pounds up there. I have even considered the idea of just adding neoprene "leggings" to my wetsuit.

I have decided that the only way to make it work properly is to get a titanium unit which is light enough that I can make up the difference by adding weight to the top of the unit. Or just dive a drysuit all the time.

The most overlooked thing that will give a false sense of being butt heavy is having too much loop volume. Doing this will cause a huge swing in center of balance with just the extremely smallest of head up movement, your feet will drop like a rock and the fight begins.

Definately working on loop volume but got another 20 hours in this week so inching along, getting the feel a bit more. Thanks for your analysis. As I cant swap to a titanium financially Ill keep focusing on weight placement and loop volume. I also had to work on shut off drills by dropping the knobs a little as they were too high to reach so that adds to it. Notwithstanding all the issues I love diving the revo and its redundant safety features. Again, I really appreciate your thoughtful comment.

Most of my diving is off my boat on MA east coast wrecks (although no Cape Cod after June due to great whitey). I also really enjoy cave diving (have to get CCR certified). Mainly for cave diving, I am trying to solve the new issue.
Thanks

I found the combination of using the weight tray and getting light fins did the trick while diving dry with a titanium unit.

Back
Top Bottom