Good compressor for infrequent use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$2700 is a special because we misordered and got a huge shipment into our US factory. As soon as the Italians and the big brass at the factory get back from DEMA, I will know if it is still going on. Even though I will make more per compressor, it will be hard going back to the original retail. I have sold a TON of the MCH6 compressors at that price.

Oh and even though they are on sale, they just need to be gassed or wired up and you are pumping right away. The gasoline driven ones are my most popular since they can be transported to the dive site in your car. You would be amazed at how many "buddies" you find when you have one of these with you at the beach. :):grouphug2:

Drat, I can't think of any way I could possibly come up with that much extra money immediately.

I would probably get the 220 single phase since I don't want to worry about filtering the extra exhaust and I would rarely do more that two single tank dives so I could fill locally in those rare instances. Plus then I could run it inside the finished side of my barn and probably even run a dehumidifier first in one of the small rooms to help knock down the moisture the filter has to deal with.

Plus then I could run it inside the finished side of my barn and probably even run a dehumidifier first in one of the small rooms to help knock down the moisture the filter has to deal with.

I would go with an air conditioner instead. Cooler air is drier and it is also much better to help keep the compressor cooler.

Post again here when you hear what the prices will be doing. I don't want to put a ton on a credit card but with a little more time to save I might be able to pull something off.
Thanks.

Are you a veteran, retired or active duty? There is the Veteran's Day sale going on right now of $100 off or free shipping to the freight depot closest to your home. It ends at the end of the month if that will help.

I know nothing of scuba compressors.
I live in a part of WI where the nearest air fills are a 2 hour round trip which makes any local lake diving (as crappy as they are) somewhat inconvenient and even better dive sites with shops nearby are somewhat inconvenient due to weekend hours and needing to get there after diving before they close or stop before diving the next time I go.
I actually expect some of the few local shops that are left to disappear eventually for various reasons.

I don't dive enough for a compressor to be practical in an economic sense, but the lack of air fills makes it more difficult to dive at all and so it would be nice to just get a compressor.
It would actually eliminate the need for a dive shop permanently as I rebuild all my own gear and drive my tanks to the hydro tester myself already.

I'm not sure what sort of maintenance a compressor needs on a time rather than hours used based schedule or what would be a good choice for my very low demand usage assuming its even possible to use them that way.
I don't really have exact numbers for you for how infrequent but several tanks a month and only during the dive season would be about right.

I occasionally see used stuff listed locally thanks to the great lakes keeping people diving locally (and then quitting) but I don't know even how to tell if something is old crap with no parts available or a good price or really anything.
So long as there is good documentation and parts availability I could handle fixing up a cheaply acquired mess.

Here is a local for sale example (neat little compact thing) though it looks fairly old to me:
Fill scuba or paint ball tanks with this Mako high pressure air compressor, has filtration for breathing air. 3hp, 220volt single phase. Have extra filter cartridge & fill hoses.$2000

A two hour round trip...including fill time/excluding fill time...especially for 21% only is not far...or overly time consuming...not very many of us have dive shops around the corner...from where we live...

My LDS...is 45 minutes north east of my residence...during the 13 years I used the shop...which included 8 years post retirement employment...any trip for fills...including time for partial pressure NITROX blending was keeping me away for nothing less than two hours...and I'm sure there are thousands more like me...

Somebody said recently...''buying a compressor to save on fills...is like buying a farm to save on milk...and for my own piece of mind...I would not use any compressor...my own or anyone elses...where industry standard trace analysis was not been performed...

For the past several years...my annual diving has been to one location only...where there is a dive operation/charter service/fill station...I have my cylinders filled upon arrival...get further fills for the duration of my stay...usually three days...and fill everything up prior to departure...if a potential day trip should come up...all my cylinders are full...all...being one set of double HP 117's...and a small bailout cylinder...

There are lots of divers where personal ownership of a compressor has its benefits...your situation does not sound like one of those...

Purchase another pair of cylinders...a lot less expensive...and it will help get the most out of your time spent for fills...good used cylinders are always available...which will save you even more money...

As far as buying a used compressor...like buying a sick dog...and becoming permanently joined at the hip to a veterinarian...$$$...

W.W...

The dive shop that is an hour away from me is the last one in that area and it will not be sold or taken over when he decides to quit, which could be any time considering his age.
At that point I would be equally placed between the one dive shop in Duluth, Hudson and Black river falls all of which are an hour and a half one way.
For some that's reasonable, but I am willing to pay an awful lot for permanent freedom from dive shops which I have always been disappointed with pretty much as a whole industry, and air fills are the last thing that ties me to them.
I'm not attempting to save money by getting a compressor, I would have to dive a ton more for the economics to even start to work.

Dive shops seem to generally be closed on Sundays and close early on Saturdays and I don't want to always have to hustle out of the water on Sat so I can get fills for next time before they close. If I find a good deal on used tanks (I already have one pair) I might jump on it (just missed some used LP108's I would have bought) but generally I only see idiots selling overpriced old AL80's which I don't use.

I'll second the oil-less RIX recommendation. Once the initial capital investment is made - and don't forget the filter tower with moisture absorbent - use and maintenance is pretty convenient and straightforward. And it's nice to be able to get full fills, and top off tanks as needed - the days of 2800psi AL80 and 3000 psi HP fills can be over! Also, don't be so quick to dismiss the economics of owning a compressor, even without the savings of your LDS road trips. Even at $4-$5 fills, the RIX is competitive by my calculations. At $10, it wins hands down. That is all assuming you make a good 2nd hand buy.

The dive shop that is an hour away from me is the last one in that area and it will not be sold or taken over when he decides to quit, which could be any time considering his age.
At that point I would be equally placed between the one dive shop in Duluth, Hudson and Black river falls all of which are an hour and a half one way.
For some that's reasonable, but I am willing to pay an awful lot for permanent freedom from dive shops which I have always been disappointed with pretty much as a whole industry, and air fills are the last thing that ties me to them.
I'm not attempting to save money by getting a compressor, I would have to dive a ton more for the economics to even start to work.

Dive shops seem to generally be closed on Sundays and close early on Saturdays and I don't want to always have to hustle out of the water on Sat so I can get fills for next time before they close. If I find a good deal on used tanks I might jump on it (just missed some used LP108's I would have bought) but generally I only see idiots selling overpriced old AL80's which I don't use.
I would say your situation sounds like having a compressor would be a real benefit even if the economics are not ideal. Spending that much time on the road for fills is not a good use of time in my opinion. I have two dive shops within 15 to 20 minutes of my house and still appreciate the convenience of having my own compressor.

@84CJ7 do you have a local VFD nearby where you know someone? I have found that with many of those, bribery in the form of various edible concoctions is a fabulous way to gain access to their SCBA compressors....

I would normally second the Rix SA6 as that is what I have, however that coltri at under $3k is a pretty darn good deal. I would second getting electric if possible, however with a pump that size, you can always get a small generator and take it with you if you need to fill remotely. Bit more stuff to tote around, but if the primary use is in a garage, just use a plug instead of hardwiring it in and you're good to go

Back
Top Bottom