Review Seaskin Nova drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After exactly 3 months from order date my brand new made-to-measure Seaskin Nova drysuit arrived. I opted almost for all options except for pee valve and back reinforcement. Also, other things (undergarment, base layer, boots) arrived in the same package as well. So first impression is the following:

1) Seaskin base layer (pants and top): pants could be a bit longer, however, current length is OK as well. No pros and cons, just simple, not expensive base layer which purpose to provide a minimal thermal protection and to take sweat from the skin.

2) Seaskin 250 g Thinsulate undergarment - it was supposed to be made to measure, however, I think it is slightly too bulky. Maybe the fact that I lost 6 kg since measurement date also had impact to that as well :) Undergarment seems really well made and warm. At least at home I could stay in it and drysuit for 5 min..... then it became to warm. I guess it will be really good for chilly Scottish waters (temp +5 C / +10 C). Yes, it is more bulky comparing with 4th Element undersuits, however, price is more than twice less.

3) Seaskin Nova drysuit: seems very well made, Kubi glove system is wonderful. Also, there are a plenty of reflective materials, which should increase my visibility in murky water. Drysuit looks nice, sturdy, did not feel any restrictions in hands or legs. If if does not leak, then I can say that it is really good drysuit. It comes together with bag which transforms to changing mat - very convenient.

4) Aqualung Evo 4 rock boots - seems very quality and sturdy, fit really well with Seaskin drysuit compressed neopren socks.

5) Seaskin hood - has good neck protection, however hole for face seems quite small. Will see how that will changes after few dives and hood usage.

So far first impression is really good, things seems are quality and significantly less expensive than Otter, Waterproof, Santi and other well known brands. On Saturday I will have BSAC Practical Rescue Management course and will try drysuit in a water. Unfortunately this course is run on land and mainly on water surface and not so much diving will be involved. After few weeks will be able fully explore how is diving with this drysuit.

Hey folks, thanks for posting all this information, it has been very helpful to me. I've been shopping around for my first drysuit, and have decided to purchase a Seaskin Nova trilam. Just working through the bazillion options they offer, hoping to settle one something this week and put in an order.

One question I have now is, how do I size my hands for the Kubi rings? They offer 70m, 80m, and 90mm. I was thinking about making different size rings out of cardboard, or perhaps purchasing PVC tubing (or whatever the local HW store sells with 70/80/90mm ID). Then take a garden glove as an approximation of a dryglove liner, and play around with them. Goal being to choose the narrowest diameter that allows me to cram my gloved hand through the hole. Seems this approach will work, but also seems like a bit of a pain in the rear end. Is there a better way?

Hey folks, thanks for posting all this information, it has been very helpful to me. I've been shopping around for my first drysuit, and have decided to purchase a Seaskin Nova trilam. Just working through the bazillion options they offer, hoping to settle one something this week and put in an order.

One question I have now is, how do I size my hands for the Kubi rings? They offer 70m, 80m, and 90mm. I was thinking about making different size rings out of cardboard, or perhaps purchasing PVC tubing (or whatever the local HW store sells with 70/80/90mm ID). Then take a garden glove as an approximation of a dryglove liner, and play around with them. Goal being to choose the narrowest diameter that allows me to cram my gloved hand through the hole. Seems this approach will work, but also seems like a bit of a pain in the rear end. Is there a better way?
Ask them, if the info isn’t on their site they can probably point you in the right direction.

You make a hole the Kubi size, try and put your hand through it. Tuck your thumb in type of deal. The smallest you can get your hand through, get that.

All else fails, check the Kubi site for Kubi sizing instructions.

Before I bought my first set, I found a template that Kubi had, with the different size circles on it. I printed that, cut out the holes, traced them onto cardboard, and then cut the holes out of the cardboard. Then figured out the smallest hole I could get my hand through.

My normal glove size for winter gloves and motorcycle gloves is L or XL, depending on the brand. I use Kubi 80mm rings and I definitely could not go any smaller.

I am getting ready to buy my first drysuit and I have decided on the Nova. After doing some research I have decided on the following config. I came across this very useful thread and decided I would ask for some feedback before pulling the trigger.

Nova - All Red
Plastic Zip with Black Zip cover
Leaning toward no P valve, they just seem unneeded for more rec style use and a bit of maintenance I don't need
Orust system with Silflex seal for the Neck seal
Dry Suit Option - Warm Neck Standard

SiTech Oval Cuff Rings (Siflex seals)
Move Dump (DIR)
SITech Valve System (including hose) - Would love feedback here between the standard and the SiTech
Inflation Valve Comfort Patch
Compressed Neoprene Socks
Kevlar Knee Pads
Fully Telescopic Torso
Increase Braces width to 40mm
Reflective Tape Kit
NO Logos on Suit
Change Mat Drysuit Bag Upgrade
Expedition Pocket - Both Sides - Would be interested in feedback on pockets, I like the flat ones, but they look limited in usability
"Universal" Knife attachment - Inside Right Calf
Computer Strap Patches - Left
Braces Pocket for 40mm elastic

Any other thoughts would be appreciated

Expedition Pocket - Both Sides - Would be interested in feedback on pockets, I like the flat ones, but they look limited in usability

I have an expedition on the right and flat pocket on the left. The flat is for my spare mask only, the expedition holds DSMB with spool, whistle, backup torch, and the emergency car key from my key FOB in the little zip pocket it has.

The expedition pocket is huge, you could stuff a lot of things in there, and I can't see why one would need two of these, unless you need to carry half a dive shop with you.

I think one of them is good to have, but I am definitely happy to have a flat one where the spare mask goes because it would otherwise just be more drag.

I am getting ready to buy my first drysuit and I have decided on the Nova. After doing some research I have decided on the following config. I came across this very useful thread and decided I would ask for some feedback before pulling the trigger.

Nova - All Red
Plastic Zip with Black Zip cover
Leaning toward no P valve, they just seem unneeded for more rec style use and a bit of maintenance I don't need
Orust system with Silflex seal for the Neck seal
Dry Suit Option - Warm Neck Standard

SiTech Oval Cuff Rings (Siflex seals)
Move Dump (DIR)
SITech Valve System (including hose) - Would love feedback here between the standard and the SiTech
Inflation Valve Comfort Patch
Compressed Neoprene Socks
Kevlar Knee Pads
Fully Telescopic Torso
Increase Braces width to 40mm
Reflective Tape Kit
NO Logos on Suit
Change Mat Drysuit Bag Upgrade
"Universal" Knife attachment - Inside Right Calf
Computer Strap Patches - Left
Braces Pocket for 40mm elastic

Any other thoughts would be appreciated
Having had both the oval and the Kubi, go Kubi. Even diving wet hands the Kubi are better.

I have an expedition on the right and flat pocket on the left. The flat is for my spare mask only, the expedition holds DSMB with spool, whistle, backup torch, and the emergency car key from my key FOB in the little zip pocket it has.

The expedition pocket is huge, you could stuff a lot of things in there, and I can't see why one would need two of these, unless you need to carry half a dive shop with you.

I think one of them is good to have, but I am definitely happy to have a flat one where the spare mask goes because it would otherwise just be more drag.

Thanks, I was thinking about going this way, but just wasnt sure how useful the flat one would be. I will probably go this way.

The other question I forgot to mention was if the "Allowance for extra thick undersuits" is worth getting. I tend to run warm and currently have a set of the scubapro Climasphere undergarments and am thinking that this is something that I'd probably want.

The other question I forgot to mention was if the "Allowance for extra thick undersuits" is worth getting. I tend to run warm and currently have a set of the scubapro Climasphere undergarments and am thinking that this is something that I'd probably want.

I would not tick that box unless you go diving in ice cold water. I left a note to cut my suit tight because I need the suit for 18-25 degree water only. I don't know whether that was ignored or considered, but there is still so much circumference in the suit that I could easily layer up for much, much colder water without issues.

That climasphere suit goes into a standard nova any day of the week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom