Teric not Accepted as Primary Dive Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The 'offense' that has been taken in this thread, to the specific computer requirements, is interesting. In fact it is amusing.

It is JC's course. His rules. If you don't want to comply, don't take the course. His specific wording is, 'IN THIS COURSE, . . .'. It is fine to disagree with his opinion. But, he has a specific reason - which he apparently was quite willing to share when someone actually asked HIM - for his computer requirements IN HIS COURSE.

If you are a Teric user and are offended, so be it. Don't take JC's course. I happen to dive a Perdix and a Liquivision X1 (yes, I still have one, and dive it). The Perdix is nice. But, if JC stated it had to be an Eon, for example, in his course, I wouldn't take offense. I might not take the course. OR, I might just rent an Eon, if I really wanted to take the course with him. Either way, no harm, no foul - it is HIS course. If I choose to take it, I choose to accept the prerequisites, which may include equipment.

The question is being raised in the 'Computers . . . forum', and it is very legitimate for someone to wonder why such a requirement might be part of a course. JC has given his reasons. They are not rubbish. I might not agree with them, but they are - for HIS course - apparently valid. He quite probably has established over time a certain way of doing things in his course, in order to emphasize specific points, and to achieve specific outcomes. And, apparently, the Petrel or the Perdix are what works for him.

I require double steel cylinders for my tec courses - double AL80s are not acceptable (even though - personally - double AL80s are one of my favorite rigs in terms of weight and buoyancy characteristics). My reason involves gas supply, and the margins I want to have. Others may disagree. If so, fine, don't take a tec course from me. I won't be offended, and you won't be inconvenienced.

Chatterton holds some strong opinions. Frankly, he also has creds to hold therm. I don't have to agree with him. But, I won't simply dismiss his opinions out of hand. Rather, I would want to better understand WHY he holds them.

Chatterton holds some strong opinions. Frankly, he also has creds to hold therm. I don't have to agree with him. But, I won't simply dismiss his opinions out of hand. Rather, I would want to better understand WHY he holds them.

Hence I'm curious as to what data he wants displayed on the screen. I could guess, but I'd rather not.

Reactions: Jay
As Colliam said, his course, his rules. If you don't like them, don't take the class from him. I have a couple of students that did who didn't want to do the class in the 40-degree water I teach in and felt it was well worth it.
I have things in my classes that are specific to them and anyone is free to take or not take it. One of my things is no braided LP regulator hoses or if someone uses AI then they will need to add an SPG to their rig.
If they don't want to do that, they can go elsewhere. I also require people to have a copy of the full version Multi-Deco for AN/DP class. If they choose not to, again, find another instructor. I don't need the drama of arguing about gear.
I've met John and emailed him regarding students. I've always found him responsive and willing to discuss a situation.
What some don't understand is that some of us don't have to take a student on. We can say no or set conditions to meet to train with us.
It's one of the many benefits of not being answerable to a shop and we don't need to have that student to pay the bills.

Isn't the algorithm Buhlmann ZH-L16b?

Yes, Ratio uses Buhlmann ZH-L16b, but JC is mandating a very specific brand and a model of dive computers not an algorithm. He even goes as far as not accepting another model from the same mfg with the same algorithm.

The 'offense' that has been taken in this thread, to the specific computer requirements, is interesting. In fact it is amusing.

It is JC's course. His rules. If you don't want to comply, don't take the course. His specific wording is, 'IN THIS COURSE, . . .'. It is fine to disagree with his opinion. But, he has a specific reason - which he apparently was quite willing to share when someone actually asked HIM - for his computer requirements IN HIS COURSE.

If you are a Teric user and are offended, so be it. Don't take JC's course. I happen to dive a Perdix and a Liquivision X1 (yes, I still have one, and dive it). The Perdix is nice. But, if JC stated it had to be an Eon, for example, in his course, I wouldn't take offense. I might not take the course. OR, I might just rent an Eon, if I really wanted to take the course with him. Either way, no harm, no foul - it is HIS course. If I choose to take it, I choose to accept the prerequisites, which may include equipment.

The question is being raised in the 'Computers . . . forum', and it is very legitimate for someone to wonder why such a requirement might be part of a course. JC has given his reasons. They are not rubbish. I might not agree with them, but they are - for HIS course - apparently valid. He quite probably has established over time a certain way of doing things in his course, in order to emphasize specific points, and to achieve specific outcomes. And, apparently, the Petrel or the Perdix are what works for him.

I require double steel cylinders for my tec courses - double AL80s are not acceptable (even though - personally - double AL80s are one of my favorite rigs in terms of weight and buoyancy characteristics). My reason involves gas supply, and the margins I want to have. Others may disagree. If so, fine, don't take a tec course from me. I won't be offended, and you won't be inconvenienced.

It isn't an "offense" as much as a surprise for JC's attitude and requirement is very unique in the dive industry. I have talked and met MANY technical diving instructor and I have never heard this type of requirement. People are trying to understand the "why" behind this strange requirement that doesn't make sense to many people here. I find it surprise that you are criticizing people for wanting to know more or question more as if any statement coming from JC should be taken as a statement/requirement coming from God and should never be questioned even if to understand why he is saying so (Even God's words and commandments are being questioned and even denied by many good folks out there). What you are saying is that, "if you don't like or don't understand it, tough manure and get lost." This is very anti-spreading of knowledge and education.

I have things in my classes that are specific to them and anyone is free to take or not take it. One of my things is no braided LP regulator hoses or if someone uses AI then they will need to add an SPG to their rig.

As somebody new in the technical path, why do you have those specific requirements?

Why are people still asking why JC has this specific requirement when that is answered by loosenit2 from an email exchange?

1. The Teric does not allow you to change GF High while diving, while the Perdix and Petrel do.
2. The larger screen size of the Perdix and Petrel allow you to see more data on the screen without having to scroll screens to see other data elements.

As somebody new in the technical path, why do you have those specific requirements?
I'd like to know as well. I can guess why the SPG even though I don't agree, but the braided hoses has me stumped.

There are a million pro/con threads about braided vs rubber hoses and I don't want to ignite that debate or sidetrack this thread, so I'll just identify the arguments without taking a side.

Some believe they are more failure prone when the inner lining crystallizes, particularly with some brands (or off brands). Under the category of less controversial distinctions, braided hoses are more likely to take a set and not lie flat, are more floaty and can chafe your neck. Those are some of the reasons that some people prefer rubber.

Back
Top Bottom