First dive trip to Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Klieb

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Heading to Coz on Dec 7th for my first trip there... Very excited for this trip I have been wondering what type of sea life can I expect to see what should I be on the look out for. Any places that are a must see of food that's a must have ?

You owe it to yourself to do a search under the Coz forum! So much there including dedicated cuisine threads....

Enjoy your trip...it’s intoxicating.

Yeah I have done the searches and I have read most of the cuisine threads. It is going to be a great experience one of the things I haven't seen so much is are there any sea life that is there that time of the year that I should look for.

I go a bit later in the winter but Eagle Rays should be there in Dec & everything you see in the photos in this trip report may be there too but some require good eyes & some searching.

trip report - August 2019

Turtles, eels, stingrays, puffer fish, lionfish, barracudas, drum fish...the list goes on and on. You will not be disappointed! Do a night dive or two so you can see octopus...they are amazing and mesmerizing! I could watch them the whole dive and never get bored. The reefs are also amazing, so much to see in Cozumel...you'll be addicted like we are!

Turtles, eels, stingrays, puffer fish, lionfish, barracudas, drum fish...the list goes on and on. You will not be disappointed! Do a night dive or two so you can see octopus...they are amazing and mesmerizing! I could watch them the whole dive and never get bored. The reefs are also amazing, so much to see in Cozumel...you'll be addicted like we are!
I do have a twilight and night dive planned. I am thinking I will be coming back a lot after I get started.

Splendid toad fish, sometimes you can hear them and not find them. If you get lucky at the southern reefs you can see reef sharks off the walls. Sometimes you can find octopus during the day by finding their dens, look for empty shells piled up in front of a hole. There are some really big grouper that hide up under overhangs. Look out into the blue every so often, you never know what you will see, we saw a sailfish one March cruising down the wall. If you don't have a flashlight I would suggest getting one, even for day dives. I have been using a $30 that uses AA batteries and it works great.

Back
Top Bottom