Scorkl?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WeRtheOcean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I came across this on YouTube:

What are your thoughts on it? Is this a good thing, or too risky?

Anyone who uses the hand pump and keeps using it should compete in the world's strongest man competition. Do the math on what it takes to fill it up to rated pressure. It's another SpareAir. Mostly useless for divers.

My opinion:

Nothing new there really. The tiny scuba tank with integrated valve/regulator (aka spare air) is not new. The bicycle pump is not new. I'm sure it would be trivial to hook that thing up to a pump with some other power source (electric/combustion) if you were so inclined. The danger is in that they're marketing/selling it to people who don't know how to scuba dive and it is 100% scuba diving.

It's pretty much guaranteed that people will start getting maimed or killed with lung expansion injuries on this now that it's shipping. The resulting lawsuits will be the end of the skorkl.

Too bad somebody's kids will have to die in order to eliminate this thing from the market.

Better have some strong azz teeth... I'm sure this thing sinks when it falls out / is pulled out of your mouth.

kelemvor is right. This is 100% SCUBA.

Giving people scuba equipment and telling them no training is necessary.....I don’t see what could possibly go wrong......

while you’re likely hood of getting bent is pretty low.....there are still a myriad of other ways to hurt yourself..... ascension rates, clearing and equalizing, out of air emergencies, lung expansion.

someone is going to take this, go diving, run out of air, and because they weren’t trained they are going to hold their breath and make a dash for the surface and pop a lung.

and god forbid someone who doesn’t know any better pump this thing up next to the tailpipe of their running car...

A must have!

Take this comment for instance I don't think most of the people have any idea what they are buying

upload_2019-11-13_17-31-35.png

Taken from

Attachments

• upload_2019-11-13_17-30-48.png
    upload_2019-11-13_17-30-48.png
    42 KB · Views: 117
Guess this is a textbook case of P.T. Barnum's adage: there's a sucker born every minute!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom