Customer Service expectations

Am I unreasonable?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They were probably busy answering phone calls; has my product arrived have you look at it, maybe your email went to spam folder. Dema is customer service they are going out to service their customer who has spent money to get to Dema. The light company will have to find the problem and make sure it not a systemic issue after that it will need to go through the full QC system. Any Dive Center and Scubaboard would have told you this is the slow time of year.

We are a significantly small bit of users and an industry that is small too. To survive, resources are at a minimum. If you didn't express urgency (and be willing to pay additional to accommodate it), accept it for what it is...

Logistics for the products, as well as your booth/display (some can be 80 feet wide by 40 feet, and 2 stories tall) starts 30 days prior..

I think you’re describing the entirety of the DEMA show floor,
In it’s hey-day,
35 years ago.

I think you’re describing the entirety of the DEMA show floor,
In it’s hey-day,
35 years ago.

I think that you last went 35 years ago. The freaking GoPro booth last year was twice the size of DEMA in 1985. o_O

About right on that attendance estimate. I go once every ten years to see the new flippers.

What, GoPro doesn’t own DEMA yet? No, they likely are too smart for that.

You guys are getting nostalgic - and that's awesome; we SHOULD love whatever we're about. But, any manufacturer prioritizing ANY tradeshow over day-to-day business = FAIL. (sorry,don't mean to b a POV warrior, said this before) A tradeshow is a Sales/Marketing event; it has NO relationship to day-to-day operations. If you suck at CS all year long, fine continue to suck during tradeshows; if you are great at CS all year long, then you have no noticeable dip during ANY tradeshow. A tradeshow, no matter how important it is in whatever sized pond you normally swim in, is not important enough to neglect the core you.

You guys are getting nostalgic - and that's awesome; we SHOULD love whatever we're about. But, any manufacturer prioritizing ANY tradeshow over day-to-day business = FAIL. (sorry,don't mean to b a POV warrior, said this before) A tradeshow is a Sales/Marketing event; it has NO relationship to day-to-day operations. If you suck at CS all year long, fine continue to suck during tradeshows; if you are great at CS all year long, then you have no noticeable dip during ANY tradeshow. A tradeshow, no matter how important it is in whatever sized pond you normally swim in, is not important enough to neglect the core you.

You’re right. GoPro CS is as bad during DEMA as any other time of the year.

Reactions: Doc

What you're saying is so insane within this context it's truly laughable. I don't think you guys realize how small these companies really are. UWLD=1, Silent Submersion=2, Light Monkey<6 can't remember exactly, etc etc. These companies need to go to these trade shows in order to meet with as many of their dealers as possible because it is so impractical for them to leave during the year because the company essentially stops when they are gone. They choose the one week a year where pretty much everyone is in the same building to get all of that done. What you're saying they should do is stop any opportunity at business growth, stop any relationship they have with their dealer networks, not take any vacations, etc. all because someone can't wait a week during a massive industry trade show. The comparisons to a company like Shearwater are hysterical because they have over 100 employees, so of course very little is going to change during trade show season. They have dedicated teams that exist for customer support, repairs, and marketing. Those have very little overlap so you won't have much of a change during trade show season. The companies of a few, or even one, don't have that luxury. I will say the onus is on them to adequately communicate that during trade show season and that is on LM in this case for inadequate communication in this instance, but what you're saying is truly ridiculous for these really small companies.

What you're saying is so insane within this context it's truly laughable. I don't think you guys realize how small these companies really are. UWLD=1, Silent Submersion=2, Light Monkey<6 can't remember exactly, etc etc. These companies need to go to these trade shows in order to meet with as many of their dealers as possible because it is so impractical for them to leave during the year because the company essentially stops when they are gone. They choose the one week a year where pretty much everyone is in the same building to get all of that done. What you're saying they should do is stop any opportunity at business growth, stop any relationship they have with their dealer networks, not take any vacations, etc. all because someone can't wait a week during a massive industry trade show. The comparisons to a company like Shearwater are hysterical because they have over 100 employees, so of course very little is going to change during trade show season. They have dedicated teams that exist for customer support, repairs, and marketing. Those have very little overlap so you won't have much of a change during trade show season. The companies of a few, or even one, don't have that luxury. I will say the onus is on them to adequately communicate that during trade show season and that is on LM in this case for inadequate communication in this instance, but what you're saying is truly ridiculous for these really small companies.

This does not excuse GoPro.

Strange and worrisome, I agree with you 100%, perhaps for the first time ever :)

I have been to DEMA 22 times, I think, and have owned a dive center in NY for over a decade, I know of many dive shops/centers that close for the entire week or even more during DEMA time. The dive centers can't afford more staff, especially well trained staff, and have to shut down when the owner/manager is attending the show. They have to attend the show to meet suppliers, travel agencies, do training, etc. for they never have the opportunity to meet with these people or the training during the rest of the year at all. Stop whining!

Back
Top Bottom