Looking for Tech Dive Shop in Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ollie L.

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all,
I’m searching for a tech dive shop or individual in Florida to start some tech diving courses. I’m now a PADI rescue diver plus nitrox and sidemount. I think i will take ITT and AD/DP first, and go on to wreck later.
But after tons of searching, I’m quite lost. As my first step into the tech world, I want someone who can give me a solid foundation to it. I have ran into shops saying that they can teach ITT AND AD/DP in 4 days and 8 dives (not sure if that is normal or not? should I go with it?)
I’ll be flying in from Boston, and stay in FL from Jan. 15 to 20. It’ll be much appreciated if anyone can throw me some dive shops w/ good reputations doing tech or individuals in Florida!

Thanks for your time in advance ;D !

Ollie L.

Miami, Fort Lauderdale.. just because the flight tickets are cheap from Boston. But I can also travel elsewhere in FL if needed

ITT and AN/DP in 4 days and 8 dives is totally unrealistic and rushed, run away from that shop/instructor.

I wouldn't plan on doing more than ITT (or GUE-F, or similar) in the time you have available. Especially if you have never been in doubles before

ITT and AN/DP in 4 days and 8 dives is totally unrealistic and rushed, run away from that shop/instructor.

I wouldn't plan on doing more than ITT (or GUE-F, or similar) in the time you have available. Especially if you have never been in doubles before

Agreed.

Intro to Tech is a 2-3 day course by itself (at the quickest). AN/DP is a 4-5 day course by itself (at the quickest). The absolute shortest the combo should run is 6 days, period. Throw the capricious nature of diving in the ocean (you did say SoFla), you're looking at planning for a minimum of 8 or 9 days of training.

Additionally, I personally believe there needs to be some time between ITT and AN/DP to get comfortable with the gear and let the skills gel.

BTW, I wouldn't pick your destination to fly into based solely on airfare prices. If that's your concern, technical diving isn't for you -- Florida's a long state. From Miami it's a 6 hour drive to NoFla, 9 hours to the panhandle.

@Ollie L. Sent you a pm. I would highly recommend giving them a call. They are local to you.

I would spend my time and money training in New England as that is where you live. If you can dive in the cold dark water up there then Florida is a bathtub. I am a proponent of training how I will be diving. (once in a drysuit there really is no difference in warm vs cold water)

It is your money and you can spend it how you see fit. If I were spending it, I would want the most bang for the buck, as you are learning true life saving skills. This training is fundamental to the rest of your career.

On a side note* I'm not a kool-aid drinker myself. But why not consider gue fundies, then an/dp. You will learn a solid base (demonstrably more than itt) making future diving easier when you don't have to sweat the small stuff.

Figuratively speaking yes. There seems to be this added fear that a drysuit requires excess skill and is difficult to use. The reality is no where near what others make it to be.

If you have the appropriate amount of thermal protection on under the drysuit. Vs. The appropriate amount of thermal protection in neoprene. What is the difference? A small air bubble? Cost?

Get rid of the mystery of diving. You do not need a padi drysuit cert to drysuit dive. You also do not need itt to take an/dp. The way of the industry in the last 20 years has really tried to nickle and dime every last bit out of each individual.

If you have never been in doubles before I can't imaging doing ITT and AN/DP in 4 days. I'm currently doing ITT and considered myself a pretty decent recreational diver before touching doubles as far as skills, buoyancy, comfort in water, etc. go. ITT has been a wake-up call as far as teaching me that I just didn't know what I just didn't know. I have heard of really quick ITT classes before and just don't see how you can grasp what you should out the class in a short timeframe. My instructor for ITT has taken a different approach. I have had 3 classroom sessions, 4 confined water sessions, and 3 open water dives. Haven't even discussed checkout dives yet. The instructor I am using has been gracious and patient enough to put up with me trying out 3 different sets of doubles during all of this and trying to help me get trimmed out in all of them. I really think ITT should be a true "Intro to Technical Diving", and shouldn't even be lumped in with AN/DP, but thats just my opinion. I plan to finish ITT and become completely proficient and comfortable in doubles before moving forward.

You're paying for the class and you know your end goals, don't do yourself a disservice by rushing it or letting someone else take a shortcut on your training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom