istanbul diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weekender

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to Istanbul Turkey for a holiday. Along with 10 days in Istanbul, I plan on taking a few days to tour the Gallipoli battlefields and Troy. Anyone have advice for me about getting in a couple of dives? There are several Padi shops but I'm looking for fellow tourist recommendations. Shops I should use, dive sites etc...? Time will not allow me to go anywhere else while there, so please don't recommend a different itinerary. Thanks

thought i'd wake up this thread in hopes someone can give me some guidence. ive narrowed the date down to june but the itinerary is solid so again please dont suggest alternatives. thx

The closest diving I've done is in Bodrum, although I know in Marmaris and off Izmir there is diving too. If you have to get wet, there is some wreck diving in the black sea.

Not much diving around Istanbul. I've dove from Fetheye, nice clear water, not many critters.

There are a lot of wrecks around Galipoli, but not sure if there are any charters to dive them from.

Jack

weekender:
I'm going to Istanbul Turkey for a holiday. Along with 10 days in Istanbul, I plan on taking a few days to tour the Gallipoli battlefields and Troy. Anyone have advice for me about getting in a couple of dives? There are several Padi shops but I'm looking for fellow tourist recommendations. Shops I should use, dive sites etc...? Time will not allow me to go anywhere else while there, so please don't recommend a different itinerary. Thanks

Kas and Fethiye are the real dive spots in Turkey but I know that there are some dive shops in Istanbul. It's well worth going to the trouble to find them if you have the time. Here's a website where you might find what you're looking for:

Cheers,
R..

I will recommend going Saros Bay with Atlantis Scuba Store Istanbul Diving School Diving Center for one weekend.The instructor is marine biologist who is trained, experienced and responsible leader (with fluent english of course) and you can have answers even to your technical questions. Saros Bay is at the Aegean sea 3 hours away from Istanbul. They will pick you from your Hotel in Istanbul on friday night or saturday morning to the diving point and back to your Hotel on Sunday night. They usually dive from the coast and this coast is suitable for both experienced and unexperienced.

There is ship wreck "Lundi" near Kabatepe, Gelibolu. However, you should choose right time to come when there are groups going there, the boats work then.

You can buy diving equipment from them when you dive with them or you can contact them and ask them for prices and when you decide they will deliver it to your place. They are dealers of brands like Scubapro and Subgear. You can check the website for further information.

So is this dive shop in Istanbul or Silivri where the new prison is? Driving from Istanbul to Saros Bay and back would be a pretty long trip.

Can anyone provide information about dive operators to go to Gallipoli. I tried the link above but no answer. Maybe another operator wants some business. Jim

So is this dive shop in Istanbul or Silivri where the new prison is? Driving from Istanbul to Saros Bay and back would be a pretty long trip.
Well, it is true that the prison has moved from Bayrampasa to Silivri 3 years ago. However, Silivri is not just that jail. Archeological diggings show that Sealymbria (the city of Selis) goes to 3000 BC. The city is famous for its local yoghurt and at this time of the year, there is an international culture and yoghurt festival (9-14 July 2012). I also live in Silivri. If you take a look today’s Silivri you will see that it is a place that people in Istanbul run to relax. There are summer houses and nice beaches there.Saros Bay is 2 hours away from Silivri and 3 hours from Istanbul and I think is the nearest diving point to Istanbul. The visitors go to museums in Istanbul on weekdays and want to go diving on weekends. So 3 hours drive is ideal for two day trip.

Back
Top Bottom