Kayak Diving - who's doing it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone drift dive from a kayak, pulling it along like a huge SMB?

yes, that’s what we are likely to do. I have dive flag that mounts in a fishing rod holder, so we are always towing the flag and there is no navigation back to a particular spot.
Depending on the site or if we are searching for something we might also anchor it and clip onto the line for an organized search pattern.

I use a tandem kayak that can also be paddled from a center seat. You want a kayak that is rated for as much weight as possible because the closer you get to that weight the harder it becomes to paddle. I use a kit bag for my gear and have on occasion used the empty bag as an anchor in rocky areas by filling the bag with rocks and tying it off to the kayak. Parachute Kit Bag (reproduction) Most of the time I am towing the kayak along with me or diving surface supplied with my main tank in the kayak. I use a 50' hose diving surface supplied in shallow water.

I use a tandem kayak that can also be paddled from a center seat. You want a kayak that is rated for as much weight as possible because the closer you get to that weight the harder it becomes to paddle. I use a kit bag for my gear and have on occasion used the empty bag as an anchor in rocky areas by filling the bag with rocks and tying it off to the kayak. Parachute Kit Bag (reproduction) Most of the time I am towing the kayak along with me or diving surface supplied with my main tank in the kayak. I use a 50' hose diving surface supplied in shallow water.

But why tow??? Seems like unnecessary extra work.

Back
Top Bottom