• BP/W

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Either!

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Stick with the jacket

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Use the right tool for the job. You don’t have a use case for side mount.
Could probably be stated more diplomatically, but the point is excellent. Based on the type of diving the OP does, a single tank BP/W is the most logical next step, with adding a slung pony the logical step after that. The sidemount versus backmount question is more reasonably addressed if and when the OP is ready to start training for dives that actually require doubles.

Thanks for all the kind comments and helpful words guys. Been really useful.

I’ve settled on a BP/W - specifically a 30lb donut from Red Hat Diving here in the UK, with a hog-style harness and SS backplate.

Can’t wait to get stuck into it :D!

I think you'll be quite happy.

With as many dives as you have, I imagine you have a pretty good idea of where everything should go. But if you run into some backplate or harness-specific questions, I really like the InnerSpace Explorers videos. For example:

I think you'll be quite happy.

With as many dives as you have, I imagine you have a pretty good idea of where everything should go. But if you run into some backplate or harness-specific questions, I really like the InnerSpace Explore videos. For example

I’ll be honest - I’ve pretty much binge watched all of his stuff! So useful to get a feel for everything before it’s even on my back haha...

It’s going to feel strange going from knowing my kit inside and out to having to actually think about it when I put it on haha

Going from pockets to attaching everything with bolt snaps takes a bit of getting used to. Other than that it's pretty transparent.

One thing that worried me was using a torch without a lanyard backup in case I dropped it. I only dive open water so don't want to bother with handles. I solved it by wearing one of those rubber "cause" bracelets and clipping the torch to it when it was in my hand.

9283AF0A-E95F-40DD-8EAF-EA290D8ECE91.jpeg
OxyCheq Raider light sock. From cave adventures. Very easy on/off. Much much better than the one I had that involved threading and fastening velcro each time. Bungee loop prevents it falling off.

Soft Goodman - Raider 1, Xtar D26, DGX 600
From Stuart's post:
"The Raider I fits the larger backup lights (1"- 1.4") and the Raider III fits the smaller (.75"- 1.1") approximately. The big blue 1100 and 1200 and the explorer light use the Raider III."

I got the I/II, which was a tad big for my DGX600, but a spare tank o-ring plus gorilla tape resolved that by thickening the light end.
Cave Adventurers - OxyCheq Raider Light Sock (Raider I & II) - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
Cave Adventurers - OxyCheq Raider Light Sock (Raider III) - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

I'm a little different, and I'll emphasis that my gear is configured to my diving

I have pockets on each of my cylinder slings - One is a mask pocket and one a GP. At the top of each cylinder I have a SS ring, from which I clip off things like my pointer, or reef hook or light (for my light I have a Orca Can light so the battery pack is on the sling and the head is clipped off to the cylinder Thing that dangle get slipped into bungees around the cylinder

I don't like things hanging from my harness nor do I like thigh pockets. Its a personal choice.

I can secure my gear when I tidy up at the SS and it's all good when I board the boat. It works for me in warm water, high current diving

Of course I have different slings for wreck penetrations with a different gear fit out (Reels clipped to my butt plate)

View media item 207666View media item 207665

Sidemount. No problem on boats. Fine for shore dives. Single tank or double tank. One set of equipment on dive travel for recreational or technical.

Only reason I use backmount, single tank, these days is when I'm teaching OW because that's what the students use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom