First Liveaboard to Socorros Islands - any reason not to dive dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UTscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm booked in for my first liveaboard, having always taken day trips or done shore dives up til now. I'm going out to the Socorros with the Vortex over the New Year, and if anyone's had any experience with them I'd love to hear your thoughts. (And a bonus, but completely unrelated, question. I've seen a couple of mentions of the Vortex having a submarine... is this true?)

So I bought a DUI drysuit about a year ago, after a bone chilling 48F dive in a 7mm off Catalina. I love the comfort of diving in it, and don't relish going back to pulling on a cold moist wetsuit 3 or 4 times a day. Does anyone have any reason why I shouldn't pack the drysuit for a week's liveaboard?

I was thinking of taking a wet suit for backup in case of a torn seal, but was hoping not to use it.

Thanks in advance

Personal preference. We get cold easy but felt fine in a 7mm in Socorro. Depends when you're going. Nov-Dec and May are warmer. We went in February and the temps were mostly 77 degrees with one set of dives at 72 degrees. 7 mm for me and spouse worked just fine, but I see no reason not to dive dry if you want to.

Rob

When I dived there, it was May, so I am not sure how to compare water and air temperatures. In any case, as far as I remember, water temperature was about 20°C. Everyone there was using wetsuits, though the thickness varied greatly.

That said, it may be reasonable to use a drysuit. Personally, I have been preferring to dive dry in similar water temperatures, which are the norm where I live.

You're going to have to put it on and take it off for every dive, nothing wet inside

bbbbut it's a DRY suit... :wink:

but yes, I was more concerned about the practicalities of maintaining it between dives in a limited space and was it going to get in everyone's way, they're not as easy as just slinging a wetsuit over a hanger to dry, or letting it flap in a breeze.

When I dived there, it was May, so I am not sure how to compare water and air temperatures. In any case, as far as I remember, water temperature was about 20°C.

We went in February and the temps were mostly 77 degrees with one set of dives at 72 degrees.

thanks, that's good to know, I've more experience with Cabo and Loreto, and the latter always seems to be a few degrees colder than that

I can only speak from my personal experience. That said, I can't imagine using a dry suit in Socorro. I've made 6 liveaboard trips there begining in the 1980's. Never used more than a 3mm one piece full suit and dove all day every day. Never felt the slightest chill. Of course, each person has different tollerences so who am I to give advice. Dive in whatever exposure protection makes you happy. :) My 2psi.

that's exactly what I was hoping to hear :) thank you
Let me know how it goes. I am a real whimp when it comes to cold water, I’ve been know to chill with a 5 mil in 77 to 78 temps. Dove dry for a week several years ago and absolutely loved it. Even played with the idea of a “tropical” drysuit for awhile.

I think top side temps might be a factor as well. If its warm between dives a wetsuit isn’t too bad for cooler water. But cool air temps and diving wet can be unpleasant at best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom