Fire on safari boat Suzana in Egypt (Red Sea Aggressor)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tend to agree with you on this. If you're a regular here on SB, you're aware that this has always been the way Aggressor dealt with incidents. They're all hush, hush and then people forget over time. And that offer of a voucher for a return trip. That ain't news either. Or that they're some sort of a franchise or license arrangement with most of their boats. We all knew that too. And yet, many of us, including myself, would continue to choose them for a future LOB trip.
I would have no issues choosing an Aggressor boat. If I went on Liveaboards.

Marketing is meaningless fluff for the rubes.

Depending on how this plays out, they may fall off the trusted brands list. I don't think advertising trips on a boat that no longer exists won't help, but if they quickly get another boat, rename it, and keep this incident out of the news, it's business as usual.

Bob

A previous post noted that Aggressor is already acquiring a new boat to replace the one that just burned, and telling customers with future bookings that it would be business as usual.

Tylenol survived the cyanide tampering incident by recalling every single bottle of Tylenol, improving safety significantly, and explaining what they had done to the public. They earned decades worth of good will by doing that.

The Aggressor brand is not doing itself any favors.

I’m thinking of using the Flashlight app in my iPhone, which seems pretty bright.

I think that it's better to maybe have both? In the Dancer disaster the boat was flipped and the passengers had to swim out. Those that survived at least. A phone flashlight would not suffice in that situation. I think a more powerful and waterproof flashlight would also be much more effective if having to jump off the boat at night. It would help rescue boats locate you and just be helpful to have. After hearing of the rescue zodiacs picking people up i think that a flashlight would also help so that they don't accidentally run you over during a search. It is hard enough to see people during the day.

It's shocking to me but that the Facebook page for the Red Sea Aggressor makes zero mention of this. When the Siren boat went down last year at least they addressed the matter publicly. It's just morally wrong not to make any mention of it. That is where I take issue with Aggressor. Laws and liability aside...it is just wrong to pretend like this incident never happened. Wayne or Wayne should step up to the plate here. This isn't some AC not working or a boat that needs work. Someone died here. Do the right thing.

:eek:

Perhaps that is why the crew is more "aware".
No I was not aware of that... Thanks for info! Hopefully this latest event will create and enforce well needed safety rules. I think one of the most important rules is to have a person awake all night and on active watch. IMHO this might have saved many of the passengers on the Conception and the person in this instance.

I think one of the most important rules is to have a person awake all night and on active watch. IMHO this might have saved many of the passengers on the Conception and the person in this instance.

This person would have no other duties but this? I wondering if that is the case typically. How would someone do other activities during the day and then stay up all night?

There's very little information in the press. Most of the information, including eye witnesses, is here, on SB. The Conception was all over the news, probably because it happened and was reported in the US

The Conception fire made the mainstream media in the UK. It was extensively covered by the TV, Radio and the newspapers. It did make the morning breakfast headlines. There was mis-reporting, but that is what happens when the mainstream media cover a diving story.

I wrote up two long pieces about the Conception Fire for X-Ray Mag. (This is the world's first digital diving magazine, and doesn't hide its stories behind a pay wall).

You can access both stories for free by following these links.

Californian Dive Boat Fatal Fire

NTSB releases preliminary report on the Conception Fire

I said at the time, and I will reiterate it again, the Mods did a superb job keeping the Conception threads on track and beautifully curated during a challenging time. I was one degree of separation from six on that boat. I am sure the Mods will have known folks on the Conception.

I am disturbed that it appears the Aggressor Fleet did not allegedly treat the Conception fire as a wake up call and review their whole fleet state, safety and equipment following the Californian fire.

Hello All, Trish was her name. She was a spectacular mom and human being. She was a true friend that would never quit on you. She was a bright light with an infectious laugh that brightened every room.
We have two daughters, they are crushed. Our family would like to put our arms around everyone that was there, you have been in our thoughts constantly.
The false narrative that was immediately being spun was so painful for my girls. Thank you all for aggressively correcting the record. It has made a difference at a time when any type of closure is elusive.
I asked the AmEmb Cairo and the FBI to provide you our number. Please call when it is the right time for you. Trish loved diving. I know my girls would love to know the details of that last adventure.
Leaning heavily in The Serenity Prayer.. Thank you All...Be Well

I am heartbroken to hear of your loss. Sending thoughts and prayers, and wishing you justice, peace and closure.

This person would have no other duties but this? I wondering if that is the case typically. How would someone do other activities during the day and then stay up all night?
They wouldn't and no one would expect them to. The night watch may also navigate the vessel if it needs to go somewhere, but aside from that, they are the night watch.

They wouldn't and no one would expect them to. The night watch may also navigate the vessel if it needs to go somewhere, but aside from that, they are the night watch.

Ok, makes sense, so those who have done LOB's would have noticed an extra hand only surfacing at night then.

Back
Top Bottom