Past tense: Is it “Dived” or “Dove”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reminds me of the change in media reporting a while back from "pled" to "pleaded". Probably at the commandment of the AP style board. A lifetime of "pled" and then WTH?

With all of the other irregularities in the English language, do we really need to suffer through inartful sounding conjugations?

Dove.

Cranky, middle-aged guy - out ...

I once was on a committee to rewrite some bylaws. A lady (I'm being nice) on the committee insisted that we use the AP style board English. I explained to her nicely (the first time) that the AP style board English was to standardize newspaper print (Associated Press). They don't write bylaws. Soooooo, if you're printing it in the newspaper, then use whatever floats your boat. Otherwise use the correct past tense of dived. Why can't people just leave our language alone. (I'm pretty sure that the folks across the pond have been saying that for a couple of centuries now)

Cheers - M²

Language is all about communication. I am pretty sure we all understand what a diver is trying to communicate when dove or dived is used. It is all good. Example: My wife is a native Spanish speaker, whereas I can barely get by in a basic conversation in Spanish with an adult. When I find myself floundering around trying to find the right word or phrase, my wife reminds me that correct grammatical use of the words is only a minor part of the communication process.

Hmmm, interesting. I've never heard a UK English speaker use dove as the past tense of dive, but this appears to be common for North American English speakers. Would be interesting to find out what term other English speaking nations use. For that matter, which way do people who use English as a second language roll?
I use both sadly :)

(I am French)

In conclusion -

Dived is correct. Dove is an acceptable alternative, primarily used by US English speakers.

Can we move on to "travelling" versus "traveling"?:wink:

what would be the past tense of cave dive?

cave dove?
cave dived?
caved?

what would be the past tense of cave dive?
I usually say that I have cheated death, yet once more.

I usually say that I have cheated death, yet once more.
I think that means you are a cheater.... a new distinctive specialty?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom