Beginner diving in Maldives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for all the responses!

I'm aware it's not the cheapest hobby, but I'm prepared for that. I can afford it, but I just don't want to spend on frivolous expenses (eg. staying in a resort, when the focus is to dive).

I have dived in the Andamans, that's where I received my certification. However I was somewhat disappointed by the visibility at the dive spots there. As against the visibility during snorkeling trips to the Maldives which was spectacular. I know these are limited data points, but I was hoping to dive in the Maldives. Also I'm looking for an extended weekend trip, and Maldives has the advantage of being just a 1.5 hr flight from here, as against Thailand which is 4hr + another flight to final dive location. However let me research a little more on Thailand options.

$50 for a dive without equipment seems steep but I'm not aware of what a fair price is. Can someone enlighten me? What might this cost be in Thailand?

Thanks for the advice on the Liveaboard, I'll wait till I complete my advanced certification. I was hoping to do a few casual dives before going to the next step.

Meanwhile if anyone else has further suggestions for Maldives, that would be super appreciated :)

I recommend Maafushi local island.
Hotels cost USD$50-100 per room, meals cost around USD$10-15 and fun dive costs USD$30-40 per dive.

My Maafushi trip:
Just dived & stayed in Maafushi again

I recommend Maldives Passions dive shop on Maafushi:
HOME - Maldives Passions scuba diving school in Maafushi

Maldives Passions (Maafushi Island) - 2019 All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go (with Photos) - TripAdvisor

Nowadays, with the cheap prices on Maldives local islands. It is a lot worthy to dive in Maldives local islands than SE Asia. I also got my Open Water and Advanced in Thailand.

Maldives Passions dive shop (Maafushi) Packages:
5 dives package (tank & weight only): 175 US$
5 dives package (including equipment except wet suit & computer): 205 US$
10 dives package (tank & weight only): 335 US$
10 dives package (including equipment except wet suit & computer): 380 US$
15 dives package (tank & weight only): 465 US$
15 dives package (including equipment except wet suit & computer): 530 US$

Thanks travelem! Have a couple of questions
- Any specific dive location recommendations in Maafushi given we only have the basic certification? I'm looking for good coral reefs and reef life, as well as opportunity to see sharks and mantas.
- Would Fulidhoo or Rasdhoo have options for beginners? The large groups or rays and sharks are from those islands.

Well I have been to the Maldives, 17 times in all and the 18th is coming up.

I assume you mean Maafushi in South Male atoll? You will definitely see sharks on dives in South Male. Most of the dives in the channels feature grey reef sharks, though the current on these dives can be a bit strong.

There's also a manta point nearby, but like all of them, it's seasonal. They start arriving in June, so July you'll definitely see them. I think they hang around for about 6 months, maybe a bit less.

There's good dive in South Male. Whilst you may get a bit more variety on a liveaboard, most of them do itineraries around North and South Male and Ari atoll.

And you don't want to stay on Male.

I also have been to the Maldives 8 times in and the 9th is coming up.

IMO Maafushi is the best option for Maldives budget traveler and beginning diver. I know a few open water friends who have dived in Maafushi with Maldives Passions and are very pleased with the marine life and corals thay saw.

Fulidhoo is not for you as I remember the dive site to see lots of reef sharks is at 30 meters. Both Fulidhoo and Rasdhoo are 25-100% more expensive than Maafushi in hotels, meals and fun dives.

I recommend you contact Marc at Maldives Passions to tell them your dive level, number of dives and travel time. Ask them if they can recommend a few dive sites to see mantas, rays and sharks for you.
marc@maldives-passions.com

With the marine life is so rich in Maldives, you may see dolphins, sharks, mantas and sea turtles while joining snorkeling tours in Maafushi.
iCom Tours

Back
Top Bottom