2nd stage bailout positioning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone else use this set up or have opinions on it.

Basically a MF fed by both dil and offboard, MF feeds ADV, BOV, wing so tank valve isolates un-used cylinder, allows easy switching between an hypoxic dil and safe BO, and depending on depth and dil inc vol of BO available via BOV.

Just seems a little complicated and inc potential failure points.

That's a lot of eggs in one basket.

Re: ISE's video, I am not sure I understood the polarity of QD he has connected to the block?
If female, I suppose it is essentially shut off until the male part is fitted in?
But what about the male part (on a hose connected to a BO 1st stage, presumably)? Would that not leak unless the BO is turned off? And if the BO valve is turned off, would the hose not slowly fill up with water, potentially?
I understand that this is connected topside, but in case of a switch needed under water, that would blow water in a variety of directions...
Maybe I am missing something obvious (only vaguely familiar with XS scuba's QD).

It looks like QC6 from Swagelok. Those are available in a “sealed both sides” flavour, very commonly used in diving applications.

That's a lot of eggs in one basket.
Yup having one LP hose fail and take out your wing, adv, and bov is bad news.

There is no good reason to route a BOV to a 2 or 3L - ever.

Yeah my thoughts were that it was a bit of a bottle neck in terms of risk and number of elements connected through it.

At the moment I have a BOV on an Omni QD to deep bailout and 2nd stage bungeed to deep bailout and dil/wing is on on-board 3l.

Playing around with idea of using dilout which would mean I could carry an additional 900 litres of gas back mount but not sure it's worth the mither of changing everything to suit OHE and then 're jigging for wrecks.

Re: ISE's video, I am not sure I understood the polarity of QD he has connected to the block?
If female, I suppose it is essentially shut off until the male part is fitted in?
But what about the male part (on a hose connected to a BO 1st stage, presumably)? Would that not leak unless the BO is turned off? And if the BO valve is turned off, would the hose not slowly fill up with water, potentially?
I understand that this is connected topside, but in case of a switch needed under water, that would blow water in a variety of directions...
Maybe I am missing something obvious (only vaguely familiar with XS scuba's QD).

It's a QC6. They're won't expel gas until mated.

Back
Top Bottom