Universities near caves (Florida or Mexico)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EireDiver606

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would like to go to a university either near Floridian or Mexican caves as I am very lucky and have this opportunity as a young man. Where did cave divers go?

I was thinking University of Florida but what do people think?

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Gainesville is a wonderful little town. Every time I am there I think of how I would have enjoyed being a student.

Go Gators! Half my family went to UF and I met my wife there too. We went in the mid to late 80s and both of our children went there. In recent years UF has really climbed the academic ladder, becoming one of the nation's best schools.
There's also Santa Fe College in Gainesville as well as other area community colleges.
The area is growing too much in my opinion but that's why we live in a smaller, little historic town near by.

Depends what you're majoring in. I went to UCF. Many of my friends went to USF, Miami, FAU, and Eckerd Miami and FAU aren't close to caves, but close to great diving.

UF has a good vet program. UCF reigns in the engineering and nursing fields. USF good for marine science and medicine.... Embry Riddle, aeronautics.

UF and FSU is in the middle of it all for Florida and are two major universities in this country.
Uh, FSU is more like a major embarrassment, not a university! :D :D :D (Go Gators!)

UF's a top-10 public institution with strong programs in medicine, engineering, law, business, etc. What do you want to be when you grow up?

I would say you're life plans are the most important thing to consider. Even living in Louisiana, I could take long weekends to dive in Florida. Pretty much any major university in Florida will get you pretty close to caves so you can make dives on long weekends. UF is obviously the closest to "cave country". My wife is a graduate student at USF in Tampa. Her research is in caves/aquifer systems and her lab cave dives as part of their research. They even dive rebreathers specifically because of the work. So don't limit yourself. Think about your long term goals and go from there. There are alot of cool things to enjoy about college lfe other than cave diving. If your goal is to cave dive long term, then looking for a career path that will give you expendable income and time off is key. My job affords me the extra income, but I have to plan all of my time off 12-18 months in advance.

It is amazing the number of people I have met with starry eyes, who moved to the mythical land of "cave country" to dive all the time. Huge percent of them got bored after a short time, and ended up quitting cave diving. The caves will always be there, let the school that meets your major interest satisfy your career goal, and then come back.

There is a good chance that Mexico is about to burn down in one of their once a century bloodbaths. I would be very careful about signing up for four years even in a ‘safe’ part by of mexico.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom