Advice needed...gear, AOW, buddy and Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About that...do you think I should stick with one dive operator? One instructor?

In such a short time frame, I suspect if you find an instructor you really like, you're better off sticking with him. Switching operators means filling out more paperwork, learning how somebody else does things, etc...

Richard.

Don't worry about affecting others dive times or slowing them down, diving is all about moving slow. You might dictate when the group turns on the typical out and back dive. But, usually they are free to explore under the boat upon the return until they hit 500 psi or 1 hour.

Just make sure to inform the guide about your high air usage and you should be fine. With every dive your bottom time will be longer as you will become more relaxed.

1 more tip for the night dives: there are huge tarpon hunting in the light of your flashlight. They are harmless, but might scare you the first time. Maybe check out some videos, so you know what to expect. I saw some diver close to panic when these tarpon came close the first time.

Hi/Salut:
I did my AOW while in Bonaire this past April. Stayed at Captain Dons. I ended up hiring a private PADI instructor. He would pick me up at the resort and we'd go to the pre-discussed dive site. I had a blast. I'd recommend that you contact Paul at Bonscuba (www.bonscuba.com). In my opinion, I'd much rather hire a private instructor and get 1:1 attention above and below water. Just saying.

I completed my O/W almost 4 years ago in Curacao. I only had a mask, snorkel and fins. After 3 + years I've accumulated all of my equipment except for the tanks. I'd recommend to be patient, maybe rent before you buy and when buying make sure you don't pay full retail. Some divers whom I have met have bought used equipment. I bought my Shearwater Petrel 2 through ScubaBoard. I was able to try it above water before handing over the cash. Dove with it a couple of time in the St Lawrence and Bonaire and love it. If you go the used route make sure you can test it out first. Don't buy blindly. Maybe buy from a friend or relative.

Have been to Bonaire twice over the past 12 months. Love the island. It's a diver's paradise for sure. Buddys Dive, Captain Don's, Divi, etc are all reputable. There are lots of bnbs on the island as well. Also consider Curacao. Before Bonaire, we went to Curacao 4 times. More European then Bonaire. Water and reef life mostly similar. Fewer marked dive sites on Curacao. Curacao has beaches. Bonaire not so much. We really like both islands.

Just my 2 Canadian pennies.

There are no more pennies in Canada.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom