Good, inexpensive luggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We go through luggage quickly. Cheap and moderately priced hardside bags seem to get broken within two trips. The airlines are rough on them. I really don't want to spend the money on something like Tumi. We have Pelicans but they weigh so much that we'd hardly get anything in them before they'd be over the 50 pound limit. I know I'm looking for a unicorn, but do any of you have a recommendation for luggage that is not super expensive and is durable?

Btw, I read on the Tumi website they cover airline damage for the first year, but not after that first year. Should I just keep buying cheap bags and replace them over and over?

Also want to add, I'm looking for a checked bag - not carry-on. And I prefer hardside over soft, to protect my BCD. Also, prefer hardside to protect from water. We got caught in a huge downpour getting to the ferry in Cancun and the rain leaked into our bags via the zippers! I think I may treat the zippers with something like Scotchguard to prevent that from happening again.

We go through luggage quickly. Cheap and moderately priced hardside bags seem to get broken within two trips. The airlines are rough on them. I really don't want to spend the money on something like Tumi. We have Pelicans but they weigh so much that we'd hardly get anything in them before they'd be over the 50 pound limit. I know I'm looking for a unicorn, but do any of you have a recommendation for luggage that is not super expensive and is durable?

Btw, I read on the Tumi website they cover airline damage for the first year, but not after that first year. Should I just keep buying cheap bags and replace them over and over?
If you travel a lot, then consider buy something with a lifetime warranty.

Briggs Riley is one of them.
Briggs and Riley

If you travel a lot, then consider buy something with a lifetime warranty.

Briggs Riley is one of them.
Briggs and Riley
At first glance they appear to be very expensive. But once you factor in the cost of buying new luggage every couple of years and / or the cost of fixing your luggage every few trips, they prices are not so bad. It also removes those hassles as the luggage is much better made and fails less often.

You will also want to determine where the nearest repair depo is. For the first few years we simply took bags back to the mall store where we purchased them. They paid for shipping. They closed. And we discovered the authorized repair Depot is about 1 mile from our house.

I'm finding Briggs-Riley bags on eBay for less than $200. Considering their warranty is transferrable and no proof of purchase is required, this might be the way to go. Give them a good cleaning and we're ready to roll.

I have Briggs and Riley for years and I travel a lot for business. Stuff holds up really well and if something happens they really did it for free. If you want cheap I would go to Ross "xdress for less". They always seem to have cheap, decent looking luggage.

TravelPro is another lifetime warranty (on most of their products). I travel extensively and their products hold up very well. Was a Tumi lover forever, but TravelPro seems to hold up better.

Both expensive, but I too was only getting a year or two out of my mid-range products.

I’ve used the same The North Face Rolling Thunder bag for at least the last 12 years. I used to travel 1-2X a year internationally, on average taking 2-4 long haul flights a year. In the last 4 years, I take on average about 14 flights a year with my scuba gear in it as I fly over the Pacific and all around Asia. I do 2 big month long trips each year now. It has held up. While the exterior has had exterior esthetic damage like scratches etc, no physical damage and I load it to 23-26kg each time. My 2 dive buddies also have the same bag and travel heavily with it for dive trips.

I also recommend Patagonia’s Black Hole Rolling Duffel. If you don’t need wheels, just the Black Hole Duffel or The North Face’s Base Camp Duffel. Zippers and stitching are covered for warranty and the material on all that I’ve recommended so far is bombproof and waterproof material except the zippers. The Base Camp material is same as the Rolling Thunder Material. Black Hole Material is similar but Patagonia’s take on it. It’s a bit shinier and I don’t find as durable though. Lighter weight though.

Unfortunately none are hard sided but longevity and durability hasn’t been an issue. Wheels are large rollerblade wheels so uneven, bumpy ground (hello, non first world countries) are easy. I’m not a fan of 4 wheeled bags because you can’t leave them unattended on uneven or sloping ground and the wheels are all so tiny and not good for the travel I do

Also good for you to look at is Eagle Creek ones that come with the No Matter What warranty - including airline damage.

None of these bags are “inexpensive”, but they are relative to Tumi. :) They have really stood the test of time. Beware knockoffs on eBay especially TNF...buy from a reputable place.

It doesn't match your hard-case criteria but I travel almost exclusively with the Patogonia Black Hole series and second the previous recommendation. My brother in law who makes event tents for a living actually fondled them muttering, "Nice material... waterproof... reinforced.... strong". There might have even been a little bit of drool.

Zippers are bulletproof. Backpack straps are removable. Weatherproof material. I would say damn near indestructible and with the colors they offer, you will always know which bag is yours on the carousel.

I've been using TravelPro Maxlite series for quite a while. I had my first one for many years until it fell over into the street and a car ran over the handle. I've had a Maxlite 4 now for several years and recently added a Maxlite 5. I use the softside, they also have a hardside. The 29" softside weighs under 9 pounds, the hardside about a pound more. I just got back from a family vacation to Bonaire and had two complete scuba sets in each, weighing in at 60-65 pounds, my wife and I treated ourselves to business class. Suitcases handled the load without a whimper, the spinners are great. I see that they are available for a little under $200. Of course, YMMV

It's not hard sided, but I can't tell you how much abuse I have put this rolling duffle through:

Rolling Adventure Duffle, Extra-Large

At least 6 or 7 years of 3-4 trips per year. Big planes, small planes, delays, etc. It's still intact and working. I wish its inherent weight was a bit less, but that's my only complaint. It's cheap, too ($140). It's extremely stuffable as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom