Enigmatic Message from Admin/Mod

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I received a notification from an anonymous admin/mod that didn't make sense to me at all. I don't remember what comment triggered it and what they mean with their message, can anyone clarify please, even in a PM??

"Your post in the thread O2 better than 50% for single deco gas dives? was deleted. Reason: Sorry. Off topic, and stirs up a lot of emotion. Water under the bridge."

upload_2019-11-5_1-41-17.png

I can only imagine that someone didn't like whatever you said and reported your post. I got a similar one from ChiliinCanada for something I said.

I can only imagine that someone didn't like whatever you said and reported your post. I got a similar one from ChiliinCanada for something I said.

My problem is that I don't remember my own comment. My comment was made a while ago.

My problem is that I don't remember my own comment. My comment was made a while ago.

Been there. Heard that. No clue as to what I said wrong or which post it referred to. Would make sense to include the post with the comment.

The Board software doesn't really allow for the post to be included. We as mods can go back and see what the post was, as nothing is deleted forever. We do not make public to the general membership the details behind post deletions, but I will PM Burhan and let him know which post it was.

The Board software doesn't really allow for the post to be included. We as mods can go back and see what the post was, as nothing is deleted forever. We do not make public to the general membership the details behind post deletions, but I will PM Burhan and let him know which post it was.

I would think that text copy and paste would work, if you can type a response. No? Just a thought.

I would think that text copy and paste would work, if you can type a response. No? Just a thought.
I meant that, when I delete a post, I have an option of ticking a box to notify a user. Looks like this:

Screen Shot 2019-11-05 at 14.57.57.png

A few of us have "perma-delete" privileges, they are exclusively used for empty or repeated posts where the deletion is not about content but purely for tech reasons (saves space in the post archives).

Now you see that it says that the author might not be able to see their post. I, as a mod, can go back and view a post that has been "deleted", then I can copy/paste that and send it in a PM etc, but that is really labour intensive. There is no mechanism where the deleted user can click and see the deleted post so they know which one it is. It doesn't come up often, honestly, but if anyone wants to see what they posted that was deleted then send the alert in a message to a mod and they can probably find it for you.

ETA: We could, in theory, copy and paste the post into the "Reason for deletion" dialog, but most posts go waaaaay over the character limit for that dialog.

What bothers me is the fact that I am totally blank about what I said there, I can't remember my comments at all. I vaguely remember somebody making a remark against but I have no idea of what I said, very scary :)

I meant that, when I delete a post, I have an option of ticking a box to notify a user. Looks like this:

View attachment 548555

A few of us have "perma-delete" privileges, they are exclusively used for empty or repeated posts where the deletion is not about content but purely for tech reasons (saves space in the post archives).

Now you see that it says that the author might not be able to see their post. I, as a mod, can go back and view a post that has been "deleted", then I can copy/paste that and send it in a PM etc, but that is really labour intensive. There is no mechanism where the deleted user can click and see the deleted post so they know which one it is. It doesn't come up often, honestly, but if anyone wants to see what they posted that was deleted then send the alert in a message to a mod and they can probably find it for you.

ETA: We could, in theory, copy and paste the post into the "Reason for deletion" dialog, but most posts go waaaaay over the character limit for that dialog.

I have not had many posts removed, but I have had occasion to wonder, "What part of what I said was a problem?" Any clue would help me reduce the future workload for the mods, all of whom should have their pay doubled immediately as far as I'm concerned. So please don't think I'm complaining about the job y'all do.

Back
Top Bottom