5 days available - Tulamben vs Padang Bai vs..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why is that?
Uneventful dive, very very mundane macro.
"Worst" means that almost all other sites are better in at least one feature, but it's very easy for the dive operations to lead their divers there.

Too much local diving (Jetty and Deep Jepun is fine, but the rest may be overkill if you're not into into specific macro)
Tulamben is more than 20 dive sites, in one day they will lead you to the wreck and something else (say no to Drop off, the worst dive in Tulamben)
Replace one day diving local with another day in Tulamben for real black sand (say Melasti and Kwanji) or another trip to Nusa Penida.

If they don't do a Nusa Penida trip , shop around like at Geko divers almost next door, they may organize a day on their own. it would be a pity staying at Padang Bai without diving Nusa Penida.

This, again, is great information.

Will coordinate with them to replace one of the local dives against something else.

I will also contact Geko to see if they do a Nusa Penida trip during my stay.

Thank you very much!

Too much local diving (Jetty and Deep Jepun is fine, but the rest may be overkill if you're not into into specific macro)
Tulamben is more than 20 dive sites, in one day they will lead you to the wreck and something else (say no to Drop off, the worst dive in Tulamben)
Replace one day diving local with another day in Tulamben for real black sand (say Melasti and Kwanji) or another trip to Nusa Penida.

If they don't do a Nusa Penida trip , shop around like at Geko divers almost next door, they may organize a day on their own. it would be a pity staying at Padang Bai without diving Nusa Penida.

Quick question as an alternative to a second day diving in Padang Bai. Apparently they are only diving the wreck in Tulamben, which I dont want to do four times, so a second trip to Tulamben is out. Nusa Penida is pending more divers and not confirmed as of yet.

They suggested to add Amed and specifically Drop Off and Pyramids as alternative to Padang Bai. I heard there is good diving at Amed - are those spots good sites in that area ?

Thank you!

Pyramids is in Amed but Drop-off is in Tulamben. Luko says forget Drop-off anyway but a lot of other people have a different opinion, depends what you're looking for I guess.

Pyramids is in Amed but Drop-off is in Tulamben. Luko says forget Drop-off anyway but a lot of other people have a different opinion, depends what you're looking for I guess.

I assumed that there are two sites called Drop off? One in Tulamben and one in Amed?

Just googled the distance between Tulamben and Amed and its about 15km (driving distance), so likely that this is the site then which comes not so highly recommended.

Any other recommended sites in Amed aside Pyramids?

I assumed that there are two sites called Drop off? One in Tulamben and one in Amed?
Nope.
not so highly recommended
By one person. Yes he's got a lot of experience in Indonesia but what he's looking for in a dive site might be different to you, if you Google it you'll find many sites that say Drop Off is one of the most popular dives around.
I haven't dived in Amed yet but I'm booked in to dive Pyramids, Jemeluk Wall, Bunutan and Japanese Wreck next year.

Just googled the distance between Tulamben and Amed and its about 15km (driving distance), so likely that this is the site then which comes not so highly recommended.

To me, there is indeed a site called Drop-off in Amed. It's right at the end of Jemeluk bay, the same bay as the Pyramids site. Nowadays, each dive site seems to be referred to by different names depending on who you talk to. I like the Pyramids site. I've never been impressed by the Amed Drop-off. I love the Tulamben Drop-off mostly cause I tend to dive deep there and love the giant sponge formations, topography and chance encounter with rare sharks. As Luko said, if you're purely diving for macro, this is not the best site around the area!

Quick question as an alternative to a second day diving in Padang Bai. Apparently they are only diving the wreck in Tulamben, which I dont want to do four times, so a second trip to Tulamben is out. Nusa Penida is pending more divers and not confirmed as of yet.

They suggested to add Amed and specifically Drop Off and Pyramids as alternative to Padang Bai. I heard there is good diving at Amed - are those spots good sites in that area ?

Thank you!

Yup, and why ignore my recommendation to dive Tepekong & Mimpang or Biaha?

Thanks for this thread. I am going with a friend to Bali and he has dived these sites before. We will spend a week at one area and another week elsewhere. You do not need a guide for all the dives such as the wreck site. However we will use a guide for the first day then dive by ourselves on other days. One of the dive shops asks divers to limit dives to 75 mins or finish with 40 bar which is nice. A lot of dive shops are 50 - 60 minutes only.

Diving without a guide we will be doing some 90 minute plus dives. A lot of the dive sites are really shore entries close to the resorts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom