Go Pro 8 or Paralenz??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Each has it strengths - there are a few threads open on it already.

What are you going to use it for? Video? Are you going to handhold it or mount somewhere like your Mask? Do you want to see what you are filming? Do you want smooth, shake-free video? Figure out what is important to you!

The GoPro is super easy to use and I imagine the Paralenz is as well. However, if you really want good video quality with either, you really need lights unless you are in shallow, clear water under sunny skies - anything else is ultimately a compromise to image quality.
Not necessarily true about lights, although they help. The paralenz automatically adjust for low light levels. Go to YouTube and see the comparisons between the gopro and the paralenz. The results are awesome.

Go to YouTube and see the comparisons between the gopro and the paralenz

I'm still dubious. I really want to like the Paralenz, because I'm not a fan of the Go Pro (have a 7). When you get deep and green it's not great. I've tried without success to find half decent video software that doesn't cost the earth nor need me to spend hrs tryign to figure it out when I just want to tidy up a 30 sec clip

My friend has a Paralenze but yet to see the footage of dives I've actually been on to judge (rather than throwing money at it on a whim)

I loved my old G15 that I could just white balance at any depth and get decent enough results.

Please someone give me a very small compact camera that I can on touch white balance and get okay results - how hard can it be?

Not necessarily true about lights, although they help. The paralenz automatically adjust for low light levels. Go to YouTube and see the comparisons between the gopro and the paralenz. The results are awesome.
Whatever Paralenz is doing is software manipulation that can also be done after the fact in editing software for other cameras as well. You can’t create the light that was not there with software - so for the best results you really need to use lights. While you might get OK results without lights when you go deeper, you would get much better results with good lights.

My understanding is the Paralenz has a built in stabilizer like the Go pro 7 and 8. I know filters are not needed and the videos I have seen so far no one is using lights with them. I guess my thought was it seems easier to travel and dive with and no worries about lights or filters or a tray. Either way I am just looking for decent video to share with friends nothing extraordinary.
Here's some video from my GP7 Black mounted on an iDas tray with an iTorch Venom38 video light on about half brightness during a night dive in Cozumel back in August. I've posted a daytime video clip of a short swim through the C53 wreck, too so you can see how lights affect colors. No filter on my GP7 at all. And this isn't edited at all....pulled straight from the camera using the mobile app. it's great for pulling stills from video, too.

Here's some video from my GP7 Black mounted on an iDas tray with an iTorch Venom38 video light on about half brightness during a night dive in Cozumel back in August. I've posted a daytime video clip of a short swim through the C53 wreck, too so you can see how lights affect colors. No filter on my GP7 at all. And this isn't edited at all....pulled straight from the camera using the mobile app. it's great for pulling stills from video, too.

Using lights will result in the same results for a Paralenz. It's day dives without lights where the Paralenz has the advantage over a GoPro.

Nice videos, I understand how lights affect colors and if you are using lights on the go pro you don't need filters. The Paralenz videos I have seen on youtube without lights look to be comparable to go pro with lights. If I can get similar quality from a Paralenz without having to buy a tray and lights it would be much easier to travel with and in the end probably cheaper. But you have some nice videos from the go pro and it is definitely an option. I have a go pro 3 but would like to upgrade.

Squid are so cool

Back
Top Bottom