Rolex Submariner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm putting rhinestones around the face of my Perdix!!

This is brilliant.....I’ve always wanted to dress like Liberace underwater!

Hmm. DIR bedazzling.

I buy and sell watches as part of my estate jewelery business. I own Rolexes, Omegas, Pateks etc...

I dive with a Citizen.

This is probably the wisest piece of advice I've read in the thread. There's probably a number of us in the forum that deal / collect nice watches and I'm pretty sure we all take Citizens , Seikos and Shearwaters underwater.

Most-Expensive-Dive-Watch-Ever award goes to a DSD (Discover Scuba Diving) Chinese gentleman who took the plunge (literally) this August in the Phils with a Gold Patek Philippe Perpetual Calendar (legit one, I know watches). Guy was using rented, worn-down rented gear from the guys I dive with. His watch alone was probably worth more than all the gear of all the divers on the boat, plus the boat itself. Go figure. :)

So, would one consider this just a luxury status device or worth the money as a functional watch?

Also, if worth it, any difference between a nicely used one versus a new one? Asking because I love Rolex watches, but I like vintage Rolex, typically.

Pretty much a status symbol. Does nothing underwater than a Seiko SKX or Turtle doesn't do and one does not weep if their Seiko floods or somehow sinks to the briny depths.

A wiseman once said, "don't take anything into the water that you are afraid to lose". I very much apply this concept to something as superfluous as a dive watch. I like diving with a dive watch as a back-up timer, but I leave my expensive watch at home, or in the room.

A wiseman once said, "don't take anything into the water that you are afraid to lose". I very much apply this concept to something as superfluous as a dive watch.

If I followed that maxim, I wouldn't bring my Nautilus radio or Perdix computer on any dives. Adding superfluous to the maxim makes much more sense.

EDIT: Maybe adding "unnecessarily expensive" would be good, too

If I followed that maxim, I wouldn't bring my Nautilus radio or Perdix computer on any dives. Adding superfluous to the maxim makes much more sense.

EDIT: Maybe adding "unnecessarily expensive" would be good, too

Yeah, there's a little hyperbole in that statement - if I were to follow it to the letter, I wouldn't go diving with my Perdix either, nor my wife for that matter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom