Go Pro 8 or Paralenz??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't absolutely need a filter for the go pro below 30 ft. The depth and temperature display on the video of the paralenz is pretty cool. Not sure how they actually compare.

My understanding is the Paralenz has a built in stabilizer like the Go pro 7 and 8. I know filters are not needed and the videos I have seen so far no one is using lights with them. I guess my thought was it seems easier to travel and dive with and no worries about lights or filters or a tray. Either way I am just looking for decent video to share with friends nothing extraordinary.
GoPro Hypersmooth image stabilization is on another level compared to anything else - it is remarkably good.

However, from what you describe, the Paralenz seems like it might be a better option for you as long as the lack of a screen to properly frame things is not a concern for you.

FWIW, as a former GoPro user and now Paralenz user I would still choose the Paralenz. However, a GoPro with filters may be fine for the types of videos you want to make. It's not great if you mask mount and like to add top side clips or even footage in shallower water as the video will turn out red. This can be solved with a flip style filter, but you have to remember to flip the filter back and forth. Plus they have a tendency to trap exhaust bubbles and ruin footage.

I also started a thread when I received the camera. Paralenz Dive Camera...

As for the battery, let me just point out that Paralenz has outstanding customer service. They have a Facebook support group that is heavily monitored and they will proactively solve any issues you might have. Regarding the battery, mine started to become weak. I submitted a ticket. They instantly sent me a prepaid UPS return label. Within three days of shipping the camera to them I had the camera back; thoroughly cleaned with a new battery and new o rings, plus they returned it in another hard case. I also asked for an extra GoPro style mount and they included a couple. All of this was at their expense. This tells me they are a serious company and have a goal of dominating the action camera dive market.

They are actively searching for bugs and update firmware. The most common issue people have is with using the app. I wouldn't know because I really don't have any use for the app. My only critique of the camera is I think they can improve the color correcting feature. It is certainly the best considering no other camera has this feature, however, Dive+ really has set the mark for color correcting. Of course with that app you are limited to one minute clips.

When you compare the cost of a GoPro with all the needed accessories, you're better off with a camera dedicated to diving. Having on screen depth and temp is really cool and adds a lot of value to videos, IMO.

I wanted a solution that allowed me to quickly edit videos with as little time wasted in production. The Paralenz coupled with an SD card USB adapter and Movavi Video Editor has seemed to be a great combination. Movavi has auto color correcting which slightly enhances the DCC, all of the transitions, animations and text styles you would want, but more importantly it allows you to edit direct off the SD card from any format. In other words you don't need to convert the video to a different format before you can edit, like you used to have to do with GoPro Studio. As a side note, GoPro Quik is a joke.

Hope this helps.

Has anyone tried snow skiing with a Paralenz? The GoPro batteries don’t last very long if it’s really cold (like 20 degrees F). If memory serves, my GoPro 7 lasts about 20-30 minutes.

Are you able to grab high quality stills (not just screenshots) out of the Paralenz footage like you can from the GoPro?
It is a feature I use all the time and I probably treat the video on a gopro more like a continuous burst shot at this point.

FWIW, as a former GoPro user and now Paralenz user I would still choose the Paralenz. However, a GoPro with filters may be fine for the types of videos you want to make. It's not great if you mask mount and like to add top side clips or even footage in shallower water as the video will turn out red. This can be solved with a flip style filter, but you have to remember to flip the filter back and forth. Plus they have a tendency to trap exhaust bubbles and ruin footage.

I also started a thread when I received the camera. Paralenz Dive Camera...

As for the battery, let me just point out that Paralenz has outstanding customer service. They have a Facebook support group that is heavily monitored and they will proactively solve any issues you might have. Regarding the battery, mine started to become weak. I submitted a ticket. They instantly sent me a prepaid UPS return label. Within three days of shipping the camera to them I had the camera back; thoroughly cleaned with a new battery and new o rings, plus they returned it in another hard case. I also asked for an extra GoPro style mount and they included a couple. All of this was at their expense. This tells me they are a serious company and have a goal of dominating the action camera dive market.

They are actively searching for bugs and update firmware. The most common issue people have is with using the app. I wouldn't know because I really don't have any use for the app. My only critique of the camera is I think they can improve the color correcting feature. It is certainly the best considering no other camera has this feature, however, Dive+ really has set the mark for color correcting. Of course with that app you are limited to one minute clips.

When you compare the cost of a GoPro with all the needed accessories, you're better off with a camera dedicated to diving. Having on screen depth and temp is really cool and adds a lot of value to videos, IMO.

I wanted a solution that allowed me to quickly edit videos with as little time wasted in production. The Paralenz coupled with an SD card USB adapter and Movavi Video Editor has seemed to be a great combination. Movavi has auto color correcting which slightly enhances the DCC, all of the transitions, animations and text styles you would want, but more importantly it allows you to edit direct off the SD card from any format. In other words you don't need to convert the video to a different format before you can edit, like you used to have to do with GoPro Studio. As a side note, GoPro Quik is a joke.

Hope this helps.

Are you able to grab high quality stills (not just screenshots) out of the Paralenz footage like you can from the GoPro?
It is a feature I use all the time and I probably treat the video on a gopro more like a continuous burst shot at this point.
Yes, the camera can shoot at 4k @ 30fps or 2.7k @ 60fps. It's pretty easy to grab stills. The camera has a custom mode you can pre set before the dive. If you select that mode during a dive you can switch to it and it will do burst photography or slow motion up to 120 fps.

Also, another cool feature some people might like is while you're recording video you can pull the slide button and it will tag that spot in the app to allow you to easily fine that scene.

Dive+ really has set the mark for color correcting. Of course with that app you are limited to one minute clips.

I have never had a problem with Dive+ handling longer than one minute videos. I routinely do clips over 3 minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom