Iceland: AirBnB, Streytan, Silfra, Whale Snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblesong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I am planning a Dive trip to Iceland, I have not selected a time or bought airfare, because other than wanting to go at the warmest lightest time of year, summer! I haven't heard from anyone that has dove there.
I am wondering if anyone can share information about good AirBnB.
I have heard a bit about Silfra, but am just learning about Streyton Vents. The Streyton geothermal vents are in an area that can have strong current according to the Dive center website, but has anyone actually seen this site, or experience how strong the currents are?
Any information on planning trips to Iceland, or diving sites in Iceland, would be greatly appreciated.

You will now need a drysuit cert to dive silfra.

I went to Iceland in October 2017 with two of my adult sons for a dive outing. We stayed in a beautiful AirBnB that is near Thingvellir National Park just outside of Reykjavik. The place had 3 bedrooms, full kitchen, laundry, wifi, grill and hot tub. We cooked the majority of our meals there.

We did the 3 day (6 dive) tectonic plate tour with Magmadive. It was pricey but very enjoyable as we were picked up at our AirBnB everyday and spent the day doing 2 dives and touring the major sites including heated baths, waterfalls and other sites. We brought all of our own gear except obviously tanks and weights.

I later drove up to the Strýtan Dive Center and had a couple of dives with Erlendur. I did the Day Tour which included dives on both of the local hydrothermal vents.

You will very much want to be seasoned and comfortable in cold water including a drysuit, dry gloves and perhaps heated vest.

We really had a wonderful time that I'll never forget.

BenColinTH100317.jpg Silfra100217.jpg StrytanDive100617.jpeg

Get to Silfra very early. By 10am it just looks like a Disneyland line of people waiting to get in and then get out to tick the box :)

Also be cautious of the ‘cheap flights’ that land very very early and the hotels ‘(if you don’t do air b&b) who absolutely don’t let you check in early. I think there is actually a website called something like ‘so your goddamn plane landed in reykjavic at 5am..’

If you are renting a car, be aware that some of the rental firms are offsite for the airport terminal, which is a nightmare if you land at 5am in the dark and the rain. It’s also very difficult to check the car for dents and scratches in the pitch black and they are quite famous for charging you for ANY conceivable paint chip etc when you drop the car back off (look up reykjavic car rental scams) if you don’t buy the ‘full insurance’ We were fine, but there were 4 different people arguing about fines for basically inconceivably small ‘paint pebble scratches’ etc. An older Texan couple were in a screaming match with the rental guys as they were fining them $1500 usd for ‘scratched tyres’ and they had 40 mins to catch their flight..it was basically criminal, we looked and couldn’t see any scratches other than basic wear the same as all the other cars. I though the dude was actually going to kill someone and the rental guy was just staring through him repeating the same lines about ‘ should have bought insurance and it costs thousands to repair cars in Iceland etc etc.’

Do definately drive though. :) Iceland is seriously beautiful to drive Around and very photogenic if you kickoff the ring of fire early before the bus tours start.

Go to the secret hotsprings as opposed to the big blue lagoon one by the airport. I wasn’t a fan. Too crowded and the hot spring was full of hair.....freaky on your feet.

Other than that, Iceland is laughably expensive, the food is average at best, the locals are great, although clearly starting to get pissed off with the number of tourists showing up. (An extra million tourist growth over 3 years to 2018) The landscapes are amazing, I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. Great place to go with the kids if you don’t mind a bit of rain.

You will now need a drysuit cert to dive silfra.
We are drysuit certified, but don't own our own drysuits, and a well fitted suit is crucial to safe drysuit diving, so this is a concern I will work on.

Went diving in Silfra in 2016 with Dive Iceland - great company and great equipment! They don't require you to be dry-suit certified (I am not and I dived no problem) and the drysuits they gave me fitted me well.

Went diving in Silfra in 2016 with Dive Iceland - great company and great equipment! They don't require you to be dry-suit certified (I am not and I dived no problem) and the drysuits they gave me fitted me well.
The rules have changed and for all ops since 2016. Dry suit certs now required.

I later drove up to the Strýtan Dive Center and had a couple of dives with Erlendur. I did the Day Tour which included dives on both of the local hydrothermal vents.

Not sure if topic starter now already have been there or not, but I can second quote above here... Do the strytan dive! Out of my iceland trip I found that being my best day! I wrote a blog about that day, might give you some insights (or other people considering strytan). Diving Strytan – Bag full of stories

Silfra really is not that demanding a dive. Short. Shallow. Still water.

It is done in a drysuit as the water is really cold. No certs were asked, but it's also a simple dive. No deco. No great depth.

Nice clear water though, and an unique site.

If you have never dived in near freezing water then it's worth it. If you dive a lot in cold water then it's a nice but Expensive experience. All dives are expensive though. Even those in warm water.

Back
Top Bottom