Go Pro 8 or Paralenz??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reddiver970

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
If you were to buy new today which would it be? I have become interested in the Paralenz the last few days, seems much simpler to use a little more expensive but no filters or lights required.

Here is my take. I’ve been a GoPro user since the hero 3 model came out. I currently own the 5 black and the 7 black.

First of all on the plus side. All GoPro accessories and mounting options as well as waterproof cases are excellent. The downside is you have to use a red filter set and a waterproof case if your diving more than 33 feet. In my opinion I use a case anyway when going in the water. Too many horror stories.

Now to the paralenz. It is more expensive than the GoPro around 600 compared to around 400 for the GoPro. The mounting issue is not as refined as the GoPro. But the big plus is, it does not need a red filter they update the firmware regularly and it is waterproof right out of the box. Your going to need a memory card just like the GoPro. So the only downsides are mounts and price.

Im saving for a paralenz now. I’ve seen unedited video of the paralenz vs the GoPro and hands down the paralenz is amazing.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Glenn Williams

do you plan on doing dives below 200ft/60m? paralenz

do you plan on bringing video lights or would be using the cost differential on video lights? gopro unless if budget is not limited. but if you have a sufficiently large budget, you may want to consider moving up to a sony a series and meikon housing if 4k30 is enough

do you want to take macro video with a macromate? gopro

do you plan on doing dives below 200ft/60m? paralenz

do you plan on bringing video lights or would be using the cost differential on video lights? gopro unless if budget is not limited. but if you have a sufficiently large budget, you may want to consider moving up to a sony a series and meikon housing if 4k30 is enough

do you want to take macro video with a macromate? gopro
I guess the simpler the better for me, not looking for professional grade just something I can share with friends. But would like a deeper housing than the go pro at 130. My Go pro 3 survived at 165 feet awhile back but I wouldn't want to do that on a regular basis.

Here is my take. I’ve been a GoPro user since the hero 3 model came out. I currently own the 5 black and the 7 black.

First of all on the plus side. All GoPro accessories and mounting options as well as waterproof cases are excellent. The downside is you have to use a red filter set and a waterproof case if your diving more than 33 feet. In my opinion I use a case anyway when going in the water. Too many horror stories.

Now to the paralenz. It is more expensive than the GoPro around 600 compared to around 400 for the GoPro. The mounting issue is not as refined as the GoPro. But the big plus is, it does not need a red filter they update the firmware regularly and it is waterproof right out of the box. Your going to need a memory card just like the GoPro. So the only downsides are mounts and price.

Im saving for a paralenz now. I’ve seen unedited video of the paralenz vs the GoPro and hands down the paralenz is amazing.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Glenn Williams
I could be wrong, but I've been told the battery on the Paralenz isn't replaceable so that's a huge downside. And it has to be sent to the manufacturer for replacement. For my GoPro I like to have at least one spare battery just in case. Not so with the Paralenz. So that's something to consider.

If you were to buy new today which would it be? I have become interested in the Paralenz the last few days, seems much simpler to use a little more expensive but no filters or lights required.
Each has it strengths - there are a few threads open on it already.

What are you going to use it for? Video? Are you going to handhold it or mount somewhere like your Mask? Do you want to see what you are filming? Do you want smooth, shake-free video? Figure out what is important to you!

The GoPro is super easy to use and I imagine the Paralenz is as well. However, if you really want good video quality with either, you really need lights unless you are in shallow, clear water under sunny skies - anything else is ultimately a compromise to image quality.

Yeah
I could be wrong, but I've been told the battery on the Paralenz isn't replaceable so that's a huge downside. And it has to be sent to the manufacturer for replacement. For my GoPro I like to have at least one spare battery just in case. Not so with the Paralenz. So that's something to consider.
Yeah I don't like that idea..

Each has it strengths - there are a few threads open on it already.

What are you going to use it for? Video? Are you going to handhold it or mount somewhere like your Mask? Do you want to see what you are filming? Do you want smooth, shake-free video? Figure out what is important to you!

The GoPro is super easy to use and I imagine the Paralenz is as well. However, if you really want good video quality with either, you really need lights unless you are in shallow, clear water under sunny skies - anything else is ultimately a compromise to image quality.
My understanding is the Paralenz has a built in stabilizer like the Go pro 7 and 8. I know filters are not needed and the videos I have seen so far no one is using lights with them. I guess my thought was it seems easier to travel and dive with and no worries about lights or filters or a tray. Either way I am just looking for decent video to share with friends nothing extraordinary.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom