Yong Heng compressor + breathing air filtering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

early ones were 3 stage and now most are 4 stage. the chinese pcp compressors are single piston, 2 stage.

4e32b476-29cb-47b3-a996-5288f165e0fa.__CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

the yong heng has a small intercooler but the problem is just efficiency. once you start getting into adding extra intercoolers, a bigger filtration stack, and a proper pmv with all that extra work, you might as well get a used bauer that will end up cheaper over the long run if you run it enough because of the higher efficiency.

early ones were 3 stage and now most are 4 stage. the chinese pcp compressors are single piston, 2 stage.

View attachment 547733

the yong heng has a small intercooler but the problem is just efficiency. once you start getting into adding extra intercoolers, a bigger filtration stack, and a proper pmv with all that extra work, you might as well get a used bauer that will end up cheaper over the long run if you run it enough because of the higher efficiency.
Now you are getting to my most basic question when you say "if you use it enough". I'm trying to figure out how much use is enough. I will probably burn through about 100 tanks of air/nitrox per year at the rate I am going. 5 of my friends each burn about 80 tanks of nitrox per year. Is my usage enough to justify a real compressor? Is our collective usage enough? This is what I really want to figure out.

Now you are getting to my most basic question when you say "if you use it enough". I'm trying to figure out how much use is enough. I will probably burn through about 100 tanks of air/nitrox per year at the rate I am going. 5 of my friends each burn about 80 tanks of nitrox per year. Is my usage enough to justify a real compressor? Is our collective usage enough? This is what I really want to figure out.
yes you need a real compressor not some 2 stage no filtration no water condensation paintball compressor.

That's about 38,000cf of gas,
190 hrs of pumping annually with a 3.5cfm unit.
About 7 oil changes on a 3.5cfm unit (25hr interval)
20 small filters (P0 size) if you are only pumping in warmer months.

If you pump bad gas you or your friends will die

If you pump bad gas you or your friends will die
This brings up another excellent question. How might one test the quality of the air in his tank, regardless if it came from a home compressor or a shop?

If someone wanted to set up a test station in their home, how complicated & expensive would that be? An Analox is a few hundred bucks. How many more sensors do you need? CO?, CO2?, Others?

Going along the lines of extreme cost savings with readily interpretable results, might I suggest a bird cage and a set of canaries?

I wasn't looking to cut costs to that level..

I do not currently know what the costs of doing a proper job of all this at home would be, so I am trying to learn enough to help me make an educated decision about how to best proceed forward.

Even with my limited knowledge base, I am going to assume that a canary (historically used on submarines & in mines, to detect bad air) probably does not provide the best possible precision in determining the percentage of contaminants present.

I'm looking to learn what the currently accepted practices are & then figure out a reasonable estimate of the associated costs.

Also,
...No, I am not looking to poison myself nor my friends.

A new compressor that could handle your use would start at $2700 and go up from there. Yes, that is a lot more than the Young Heng machine. But it will last a LOT longer and put out grade E air from the start without any additional fooling around. Oh, and, according to my insurance company, I can no longer service or even touch one of the Chinese compressors since one blew up during operation.

Back
Top Bottom