Relatively new diver on a liveaboard around Similan doing AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Edwon1

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,

I'm a relatively new diver, certified in August this year and have a total of 9 logged dives.
I am planning to do a 4d4n liveaboard in Phuket around Similan islands and simultaneously take my AOW course on the liveaboard.
Does anyone have any suggestions on whether its safe for someone relatively new to go on a liveaboard?
I will be doing 15 dives in the 4d

Cheers

My only concern for you is that you might get seasick on the first day.

Regarding diving though, there are always a few deeper dive sites here and there where they require an AOW certification, but since you are also taking your AOW course there should be no problem. Have fun and safe diving!

The Similian LOBs / dive sites there are quite easy compared to other LOBs. Some even offer OWD training during the LOB. So I would not worry about being OWD and doing the AOWD while on board.
The dive sites are typically sites that the day boats go to as well so the major difference is that you are there the whole time while they travel back an forth.

"Some even offer OWD training during the LOB."
I'm sure some do, but by national park rules this is not allowed, I also would not recommend it.

At the OP, if possible do your advanced course land based before the liveaboard. On a liveaboard there will be a charge of about 8,500 baht on top of the liveaboard price, whereas when you do the course landbased it will be a bit more expensive, around 12,000 Baht, but you will get 5 extra dives for that money. It will also give you some more experience before boarding the liveaboard, which is highly recommended.

I'm sure some do, but by national park rules this is not allowed, I also would not recommend it.
Ah, did not know that it was not allowed, thanks for the info. Personally I do not think that it is a good idea anyways.

Of course more experience is always good, but depending on the schedule of the TO and the time he has, I do not see a big problem with doing the AOW on board. He will have 4 days of 3-4 dive during which he will be under the supervision of an instructor and do his course.
It of course depends on the outfit and the instructor but I´ve seen several AOW courses, landbased, that simply rushed through everything, did the minimum required and thats it. So if the guys on the LOB do a good job it might even be better.

"Some even offer OWD training during the LOB."

At the OP, if possible do your advanced course land based before the liveaboard. On a liveaboard there will be a charge of about 8,500 baht on top of the liveaboard price, whereas when you do the course landbased it will be a bit more expensive, around 12,000 Baht, but you will get 5 extra dives for that money. It will also give you some more experience before boarding the liveaboard, which is highly recommended.
If they charge that much I would stay away from it too. Although some dive shops (at least ours) will teach AOW on the liveaboard for 3.5-4.5k THB extra.

Hey Edwon1,

My father found himself in a similar situation. He had less than 10 dives--in the extremely beginner-friendly waters of Koh Tao--and did his AOW on a liveaboard in the Similan. It went well, the instructor he had was dedicated. It ended up being more of a week-long dive course than simply 5 AOW dives.

Even if you hit some stronger currents, which are definitely a thing on some Similan dive sites, your instructor will make sure you never end up in anything too dicey. If anything, it's good to get some supervised experience in harsher conditions.

Have a nice trip!

@Edwon1 Similan Islands diving is not that difficult so I think it’s okay. While we were on a liveaboard there, someone rendezvoused with us in the liveaboard and came just to do their AOW. They stayed a few nights with us.

@Edwon1 Similan Islands diving is not that difficult so I think it’s okay. While we were on a liveaboard there, someone rendezvoused with us in the liveaboard and came just to do their AOW. They stayed a few nights with us.
Similans diving can be easy but can also be quite difficult. Depth, strong currents and at certain sites up- and down currents can make diving tricky.

Similans diving can be easy but can also be quite difficult. Depth, strong currents and at certain sites up- and down currents can make diving tricky.

I suppose compared to Komodo and Raja Ampat, I found it really easy relative to those 2 places. No reef hook or muck stick needed. I didn’t experience any up or downcurrents in the Similans. Maybe I was lucky. Granted, I only have 7 days of dive experience in the Similans which is probably a lot less than you but it is my personal experience. It might have just been timing.

Back
Top Bottom