Not sure if this could have gone bad or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm very new to diving with only 14 dives under my belt and a Padi Advanced OW cert.

I just got back from Thailand where I did some pretty fantastic diving. Near the end of one of our dives, at about 20ft, my dive buddy/instructor started to get the surface marker buoy ready to send up. With currents and everything, she ended up right underneath me when she released it.

The buoy shot up through my primary airline and ripped it out of my mouth. It must have been halfway caught on something because I was ascending fairly quick. I panicked for maybe 2 or 3 seconds since I couldn't breath and all I could see were bubbles everywhere. I guess it was some of the training I'd done, I said to myself, "You're going up too fast, and you're holding a full breath of air, that's not good." I started blowing out, regained control of my brain, pulled out my octo, exhaled, and took a breath. I also dumped some air from my BC. Through this, the line must have come loose so I wasn't ascending anymore.

I dropped back down a bit and my instructor saw me and asked if everything was OK. I signaled back that something was wrong, that I was OK, and showed a 1 finger, followed by the signal for slow down breathing. I was basically trying to say, "Something is wrong, but yes, I think I'm OK. Give me one second, I'm trying to get my composure and slow down my breathing."

I switched back to my primary, rested 30 seconds or so to calm back down.

We then ascended and got out of the water.

Now, I may have been panicked for no reason since we were in fairly shallow water, I don't know. I was really proud of myself for being able to calm back down and take care of the situation.

My only real questions are, Could this have gone bad or are you relatively safe at that depth? and Were those hand signals I used appropriately for the situation?

Anything I should take away or learn from this?

Nah, you were probably fine. Depends on how deep you had been etc, but if you were only really at safety stop, as long as you exhale you will probably be ok...computer may not like you though..

I wouldn’t do it out of choice though..

I hope your buddy bought you a beer or Turtle Waxed your fins after this incident. That was a pretty bone headed thing to do releasing a buoy without knowing what was above them.

It's great that you kept your head and dealt with the situation effectively. Breathing out and getting your secondary was job one.

And yes, you could have been hurt by a rapid ascent from 20 feet. The pressure change (lung expansion) from 0-20 is greater than 20-40 or more. So the top 20 feet is the part you need to go most slow to avoid injury.

I think I would have freaked out a bit if I was swimming along, minding my own business and suddenly my regulator was torn out of my mouth by an upward speeding SMB released by a clueless DM.

Job one: don't panic, you passed

Job two: secure air, you passed

Job three: exit water safely, you passed

Good for you!!

As long as you'd remembered to exhale slowly (remember aaaaawwww?) to keep your airway open, you'd probably have been OK surfacing from that depth.

Really, if you ever lose your regulator again, this experience will come in handy.

I think you handled the situation great. Yes, there was potential for barotrauma, but you kept your wits and acted appropriately.

Maybe worth pointing out... once you regained air and buoyancy control, you descended back down to complete the stop, instead of bolting for the surface. Nice job, well done!! :thumb:

I might have given one additional hand signal after the message you conveyed... You know, the "other" number 1 signal
... :rant: Hahahaha

Really though, well done.

All good. To be able to manage the situation by implementing several training procedures at the same time takes a cool head. The ability to stop, think, then act on your training when the SHTF will put you in good stead in the future. You should be proud of your response.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom