First smb opinions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver below 83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Looking for some recommendations and opinions for a first smb. Mostly warmer weather diving and typically calmer seas with light waves possibly. Would prefer sealed bottle and OP valve so I can deploy at depth. Ideally I would like 5-6ft. With so many choices out there from super basic and cheap to feature rich and expensive I would really appreciate the help for a first time buy. I’m going to DGX to grab a spool and line this week.

For SMB's I really like Halcyon's closed-circuit with the one-way metal valve. It makes filling a one-handed operation versus two. No need to depress the nipple to fill. It's a small detail but for me a big difference.
I use the 3' slim for most of my diving but also have the 6' when the conditions dictate. They offer a thin and a reguar size in 6'. I think X-deep also offers the same valve but I don't have experience with it.

For SMB's I really like Halcyon's closed-circuit with the one-way metal valve. It makes filling a one-handed operation versus two. No need to depress the nipple to fill. It's a small detail but for me a big difference.
I use the 3' slim for most of my diving but also have the 6' when the conditions dictate. They offer a thin and a reguar size in 6'. I think X-deep also offers the same valve but I don't have experience with it.

I love the Halcyon one I have - metal tip with OPV. For a newer diver, it may feel intimidating or more challenging to have to remove your reg to blow into it or use a LP hose from a task load or uneasy perception. If so, perhaps something that can be done orally but also has an open bottom for octo inflation may be a better first one and then move to one like you described after more comfortable in water or with launching of one. If it doesn’t bother the OP I agree, Love Halcyon one their CS is great when I had issues with mine.

Are you planning to inflate from a BC inflator hose?

If not, a semisealed (duckbill bottom) is probably easier, at least more flexible. Buoyancy control becomes a juggling act. -Not getting dragged up- becomes difficult while adding 10-20 lbs of positive buoyancy. I try to start inflation by dumping my BC bladder into the SMB. That keeps me neutral overall to start and get things stabilized. Then finish the fill from my exhaust or a quick shot from a reg purge.

I have a couple of the DAN SMBs. Nice features for ease of use and survival. Mine will stay inflated forever (at least many days) while sitting in my garage drying if that is the motivation for sealed ...

The one thing I'll add is what I learnt from using an SMB with an open bottom (one way sealed). If you deploy from under and try to swim with it or stay stationary in a current it will be very difficult. The open bottom causes a lot of drag and will force water into the SMB. If you deploy and just drift with it, this will not happen though, so that's what I will do from now on.
I think if I knew this before, I would have got the sealed bottom with the over fill valve as I do not use the open bottom to fill. I use the nipple and blow into it with my mouth.

I have the Sub-Gravity DSMB and like it. It gives me the option to purge into the bottom with an integrated 1-way valve (duckbill), a metal oral/BC connecter that I can use my mouth to blow into it or use my QD from my BCD. The middle-sized one (1.5m - 4.9') is great for Roatan and mild waters. It has an over -pressure valve, SS D-rings, SOLAS tape around the top, and a place to attach a glow stick or light. Also has a lifetime warranty.

When practicing (get in the habit of doing this on a regular basis) on my last trip, the boat captain was impressed with the visibility of it. It took a few times for me to get comfortable and good at properly inflating it at depth without my buoyancy getting out of hand while also making sure there was enough air in it to stand up at the surface.

If you are doing open ocean, I'd recommend the longest you are comfortable with. Even a 6' gets lost in the troughs of waves pretty quickly. I won't go smaller than that these days, after getting caught in a squall that came up in the 50 minutes we were down. I'd get one that has all the attributes of what Fez listed - There's a few cheap ones on eBay - wife has the pink w/ weighted bottom, elastic & velcro retainer. I'm happy with it but solas tape only lasted about a year (100 dives) - you can pay twice or cry once. I've got a 6' DAN and have had no issues. I do know people that use the Highland 10' DMSB but wow, deploying that takes some real skill. I deploy deep so I don't need as much fill to have it full by the time it hits the surface - a limp sausage is uncool.

Halcyon.

Many have imitated it, and it really is the last one you’ll need (unless you need a second or larger)

I’d recommend getting a ‘Blem’ From Extreme Exposure, they run sales quite often on them saving a few $ (Halcyon is literally around the corner... and a bend, and another corner thrown in......). It’s usually something small like a bad stitch, but nothing that will really factor into its operation. (I can’t tell what’s wrong with the ones I have purchased from the Blem sales)

The 1m is a great size, the 2m is gigantic...

_R

Thanks for all the recommendations. I have had practice launching an smb but the model I used was an open bottom and the first few times I found myself struggling to keep it upright. It would fall over and get some water inside and it would lay flat. That was my main reasoning behind a sealed bottom. Didn’t want to deal with more headaches. The DAN model was the original one I was looking at. I’ll check out if any halcyons blems are available too.

Back
Top Bottom