Rah rah for stabjackets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't get me wrong, I like my wings (BP/W and SM etc)

But I'm more than happy to chuck on my Stab jacket. Especially when in a hurry dealing with guests, no faffing trying to get the webbing through the belt buckle, and find the errant crotch strap which answering numerous questions (just covered in a brief)

Arms through the hole, quick clip of waist belt buckle and off we go. And great at surface too

I can dive it just as accurately as a wing with buoyancy - especially as most of the time I'm carrying additional weights

Had a student with 9 dives in a crappy rental jacket (all that would fit her) yet she managed to hold trim and buoyancy on blue water stops with just a vis reference (no holding onto anchor rope nonsense - even with a bit of current)

Damn I've even lashed (and I do mean lashed) a couple of Al 80's on it to make a deco dive planned at the last minute. Not pretty, but it was either that or sit on the bench (the looks from some new "tech" divers was priceless)

Sure BP/w are great, but they're no magic miracle solution to bad habits - it's only gear after all.

Sure BP/w are great, but they're no magic miracle solution to bad habits - it's only gear after all.

THIS ^ !!! I love it! I use all kinds on a regular basis and he's right, gear is gear!!

This thread has been a refreshing read. I am always amused when someone on SB asks for guidance on bcds and fins. The spring loaded position by many on SB is to push bp/w and paddle fins, not giving much credence to the fact that those gear types may not be the best option for all divers, or acknowledging that a good diver can use any gear with great success. Dive gear is like golf clubs, though much more expensive. A good golfer can play excellent golf with any set of clubs, but a hacker like me will still play crappy golf no matter how expensive the clubs or finely tuned to my swing and body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom