Hiking + Diving location for ~ 2 weeks? (beginner)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nquinn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys, I have about 30 dives logged. I like diving, but don't want to spend an entire trip doing it.

I have ~ 2-3 weeks that I need to burn on a trip by the end of this year.

Thoughts on locations?

Looking for: Easy-ish diving conditions (warm water, prefer not too deep).
Lots to do on land as well, ideally could get some exploring in with hiking, etc.

Location doesn't matter too much because I have a lot of airline miles, but I don't think I want to do a 24hr type flight to asia.

I've already done: great barrier reef, thailand, aliwal shoal, grand cayman, bits of new zealand near coromandel

Also open to joining other trips, but not liveaboards, since i'd only be looking to maybe do 3-4 days of diving max.

Hi guys, I have about 30 dives logged. I like diving, but don't want to spend an entire trip doing it.

I have ~ 2-3 weeks that I need to burn on a trip by the end of this year.

Thoughts on locations?

Looking for: Easy-ish diving conditions (warm water, prefer not too deep).
Lots to do on land as well, ideally could get some exploring in with hiking, etc.

Location doesn't matter too much because I have a lot of airline miles, but I don't think I want to do a 24hr type flight to asia.

I've already done: great barrier reef, thailand, aliwal shoal, grand cayman, bits of new zealand near coromandel

Also open to joining other trips, but not liveaboards, since i'd only be looking to maybe do 3-4 days of diving max.

Belize? Some time at the Cayes or Placencia and then some time, doing inland adventures?

Based on my limited experience, i would suggest Hawaii -- i like the Big Island but i think any of them would work for you

I was gonna say Borneo. If you change your mind about Asia, Borneo has some of the best diving in Southeast Asia (not Sipadan), plus nature, lots of hiking and safari and wildlife. Went there last Spring and my mind was blown away!

For diving: Brunei, Kota Belud, Lahad Datu
For hiking: Mt Kinabalu, the Sandakan-Danum Valley area, Mulu etc just everywhere in Sabah

Oh and the best food city in Southeast Asia, Kuching!

Hiking + diving? Hiking sounds like extra exercise (over and above keeping a hammock swinging until your next adult beverage).

Would it be prudent to fully understand the DCI implications of diving and exercise?

Hiking + diving? Hiking sounds like extra exercise (over and above keeping a hammock swinging until your next adult beverage).

Would it be prudent to fully understand the DCI implications of diving and exercise?
And maybe consider the effects of hiking up hills to extreme elevations?

I was gonna say Borneo. If you change your mind about Asia, Borneo has some of the best diving in Southeast Asia (not Sipadan), plus nature, lots of hiking and safari and wildlife. Went there last Spring and my mind was blown away!

For diving: Brunei, Kota Belud, Lahad Datu
For hiking: Mt Kinabalu, the Sandakan-Danum Valley area, Mulu etc just everywhere in Sabah

Oh and the best food city in Southeast Asia, Kuching!
Why do you say "not Sipadan"? Thought it was world class diving.

The Cuan Law (bvisailing.com) can get you two weeks in December enjoying BVI Wreck Week, and then a week of sailing, hiking, and diving. There's lots to do in the BVI. And getting to the BVI is easy from North America.

Why do you say "not Sipadan"? Thought it was world class diving.
Maybe better to say "other than Sipadan." It's very expensive & difficult to dive there now many might not want to go (me included) I thought it was important to note there is other amazing diving there too. OP said they have limited time too. If I had limited time I would want to dive somewhere amazing every day guranteed, not one out of four or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom