BHB or Jonn Pennekamp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mason Gierke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be in Key Largo this weekend diving and we have a late flight out Monday night, looking to kill some time during the day Monday with some snorkeling. Just looking for something easy with decent life underwater. Considering BHB or JP park, is one stand out better than the other?

Where are you flying from? It's something like 130 miles between Key Largo and West Palm/BHB. West Palm to PBI less than 10 miles, to FLL about 50 miles, to MIA about 75 miles. Dives at BHB must be around slack high tide, next Monday Nov 4, it is at 2:01 PM. I've never snorkeled there, don't know if the same applies.

@Johnoly beat me to the high tide time while I was typing :)

We are doing 2 full days of diving with Rainbow Reef and then flying out of Ft. Lauderdale Monday evening. If BHB is worth the look I dont mind the drive. Does the tide time matter with snorkeling at BHB or just the diving?

High tide is best for visibility. Currents do get moving - you may not notice too much out on the snorkel trail but under the bridges, yes, it can be swift. If you're in Key Largo, I wouldn't bother with BHB. Plenty of places to snorkel there and the water should be much clearer than what you'll likely get at the bridge.

What snowdog61 said....If in Key Largo then just snorkle there, Pennecamp is good snorkling. No sense in bothering with the BS traffic to get to BHB

Yep. Stick to Pennekamp; if you're diving in Key Largo and flying out of FLL there's no reason to subject yourself to the extra traffic going up to Palm Beach.

What's the feasibility of the OP snorkeling in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea? I have only dived it.

What's the feasibility of the OP snorkeling in Lauderdale-by-the-Sea? I have only dived it.

Depends entirely on the visibility. But it really does not compare to BHB or keys. You have to go too far out into boat traffic in order to get good reef structure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom