Suggestions/critiques of my trip to Ile de pins/Port Vila/Fiji wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frenchies4eva

Registered
Reaction score
I have a trip planned for summer 2020 as follows, I’m mostly wanting feedback on if ile de pins is a good diving area or if noumea is better but am open to feedback about other islands to visit instead. I’d especially appreciate suggestions on dive shops/dive sites and general stuff to do for me. I’m not a diver but I’m planning this trip for my husband. He’s a master diver with a few certs including advanced open water, rescue diver, altitude etc. we will route via sydney and that and the dates are set in stone. Everything else is negotiable except for the Fiji portion since we are meeting up with friends.

June 26-july 1 - Vanuatu
Staying at Eratap beach resort

July 1-6 Ile de pins
Staying at le meridien ile de pins

July 6-12 Fiji
Staying at remote resort Fiji on Vanua Levu.

On a trip several years ago, we made an overnight stop on Noumea and Ile de Pins. Although we did not have the opportunity to dive either location, from what we saw snorkeling, I think the diving will be outstanding. Ile de Pins has some of the most beautiful beaches I have seen anywhere, and the water is crystal clear in both locations. If I ever have the opportunity to go back, I would dive both Noumea and Ile de Pins, and if I could not dive, I would snorkel.

Why stay at Port Vila when one of the best dives in the world is from Espiritu Santo?

Which dive is that and where do you recommend we stay?
The President Coolidge, an intact ,requisitioned liner that you do as a shore dive. Million Dollar Point is pretty good too. I stayed somewhere really cheap about 15 years ago,.so not the best person to ask about accommodation.

Which dive is that and where do you recommend we stay?

As said the Coolidge and Million Dollar Point in Santo. There are also some more wrecks and reefs that are worthwhile to dive, but that I didn't have time for. For staying the Deco Stop, Beachfront Resort. and Coral Quays are good.

In Port Vila the flying boat, and the Star of Russia are cool doves. There are also more wrecks and reefs to dive there.

Some clips from Vanuatu (still have more I need to edit and upload one day...)

And a friend who shot a little mini documentary:

Agree with @FindingMenno - Vila harbour has some cool little easy wrecks - I particularly like Star of Russia and the flying boat. It's a short flight up to Santo so I would not miss the opportunity to do the iconic Coolidge - my recommendation - Coral Quays Absolute Adventure in Santo, Big Blue in Vila. I stayed at Coral Quays while in Vila all the dive shops have free pick up to most hotels - Breakers is nice.

Noumea would give you a greater choice of ops than Isle de Pines.

I'll be in Vanuatu next month, first stop Eratap, then White Grass on Tanna, and ending on Ratua in Santo. I'll be diving all three locations, and can give you more information then. Eratap looks beautiful and I chose it for my non-diving partner, who will be sitting on the beach while I'm off diving.

When you get back would you mind letting me know how you found diving on Tanna with White Grass - I have a few years ago and am curious about how things are going now - TIA :)

P.S - if you want some truly Tanna experiences wonder down the track and say hello to Tom at Rocky Ridge bungalows - if you happen to be there on a Sunday take time to go to church at Toms house - Bislama would have to be the most hilarious language to hear the lords guidance for your picanninies. They really are beautiful people.

After you do Mount Yasar (and you really should) if you have time spend the night at the treehouse on the volcano flanks - if you can manage to swing it so you're over that side of the island on a Thursday check out the cargo cult dance and ceremony. Enjoy :)

I'll be in Vanuatu next month, first stop Eratap, then White Grass on Tanna, and ending on Ratua in Santo. I'll be diving all three locations, and can give you more information then. Eratap looks beautiful and I chose it for my non-diving partner, who will be sitting on the beach while I'm off diving.
This is awesome and I appreciate it. Please do so. I’m the non diving partner and want to have things to do as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom