J valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2Bobbyo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Questions
Do people still dive with J valve tanks?
Do dive shops still fill them?
Is a 40 year old aluminum tank that has been stored with a little air in it worth trying to have inspected and hydro tested? Last hydro was 30 years ago.

I would not purchase the tank. If it's already yours, drain it and either give it to scrap OR condemn & create artwork.

A 40yr old Al tank puts it in the era of using 6351 alloy, which was never officially recalled but has the issue of suffering sustained load cracking. Fancy way of saying it can explode just sitting in storage even under best conditions. Where as most tanks explode during the filling process after a tank has been damaged or compromised.

You can see the link for more info.
PSI-PCI - A short Review of 6351 Alloy Aluminum Cylinders

It requires an additional Eddy Current test during visual inspections to be deemed safe for use. Aluminum tanks built 1990 and after do not use this alloy and don't have a history of suffering from SL cracking. It would be your responsibility, for your safety and others, to ensure that dive shops are giving your tank this additional test and paying the cost associated with it.

Some shops may also outright ban you from bringing the tank in to fill, due to it's notoriety. Their right as a business to do so.

J valves have been on-off current market production by XS Scuba within this decade. Looks like they might have stopped again. Some divers, recreational and commercial, has found niche uses for it. By and large though your un-familiar dive shop may not fill it correctly and give you a tank not filled at all. Really just creating an inconvenience if you're doing your due-diligence function checks before diving.

Older J-valves may or may not have current 3rd party service parts available.

That was kind of my thoughts also...just wanted to get some other opinions. Thanks!

If you currently own them, someone might be interested in the valves. The tank is a problem...

If you have them, post them in the vintage section...

Is my cylinder made from the "bad" alloy aka AL6351?
Gives a good rundown on the "bad alloy" tanks, as it was not used by every manufacturer. The larger problem with old Al tanks is that a lot of shops will not fill them due to their age rather than their alloy or whether they have a good hydro and viz or not. Check the tank to see who it was manufactured by and the alloy, then whether your shop will fill.

I repurposed the two 6351s I had because of increased cost of maintainance, trouble finding fills, shifting to larger steel tanks, and having over twenty years of use out of them, I figured it was time to retire them. Because shops had a cut off date of 1990 for Al fills, I would have probably retired them regardless of their alloy.

I have j-valves on several of my tanks, and use them on occasion with an old double hose, and rigs without an SPG. I don't do real zero vis dives anymore so there is no longer a need there.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom