Airlines to Sorong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trucha

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am trying to plan a last minute RA trip in November/december. Which airlines go to Sorong and which city would be best to get there from? Jakarta or Denpasar? Or is it possible to get there from another Asian capital? I looked on Garuda's site and the site was either broken/or they don't fly that route.

I am trying to plan a last minute RA trip in November/december. Which airlines go to Sorong and which city would be best to get there from? Jakarta or Denpasar? Or is it possible to get there from another Asian capital? I looked on Garuda's site and the site was either broken/or they don't fly that route.

From where do you plan to access SE Asia in the first place?

I prefer getting to Sorong from Singapore to Manado but that does require an overnight in Manado. Then another overnight in Sorong to ensure that I don't miss the lob. All worth it to me because being jet lagged and exhausted from the red eye to Sorong out of Jakarta, for me, messes up the first couple of days of diving to an extent.

Garuda absolutely does via Makassar. You will have to enter Indonesia through Jakarta, Bali, or if coming from Singapore, Manado. Honestly, getting to Sorong isn't the challenge it used to be, but the flight times are pretty much require stupid long layovers somewhere. Dont sweat it as you can get a very decent hotel for $40-60usd near any airport for a shower, long snooze, and food. If you are coming from Caribbean (Curacao, yikes!) you will be very happy to climb in a bed.

Last year I got a very good deal on Garuda from HK to Sorong via Jakarta on their website. It was a non stop from Jakarta to Sorong, overnight. The new terminal in Jakarta that Garuda uses was a huge improvement, free WiFi and luggage weight was no issue.

I have had the best luck with Garuda in Indonesia. Especially when carrying dive gear. Using them again to get to Sorong via Jakarta in January on the overnight flight. I have a long 10-hour layover in Jakarta but will spend the $50 or so for the FM7 airport hotel.

Yes, the new portion of Jakarta airport is a vast improvement. And Garuda is best.

I still dislike red eye flights and despite new airport, old feelings towards Jakarta seem to be embedded. Ha

+1 to @nashwl thread above.

I’ve been to Sorong 7x, the 8th time will be in January 2020. I went there from either Denpasar or Jakarta. To me from Jakarta is better, because it’ll start around midnight so your flight will more likely be on time and will be arriving around 6am in Sorong. I’ll be going with Batik Air leaving around 00:30 from CGK & arriving in SOQ around 06:30.

If your international flight arriving 8+ hours before the domestic flight, you can stay in the airport hotel for a nap for $35, Jakarta Airport Hotel I plan to share a room there with my dive buddy for $17.50/person. :D

Back
Top Bottom