DIN Regs for Warm Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agardner

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for my first set of regs, as well as advice / opinions (feel free to be biased) :)

So, I have roughly 100 logged dives. I'm rescue level certified. I am comfortable in the water and easily reach the usual 1hr dive time limit with plenty of air left (80 bar).

I am currently based in Sydney, Australia although I may move to Brisbane soon. Minimum water temperature in Sydney (colder of the 2 places) is 17 degrees - so no need for sealed regs.

I have no plans to cave dive. I have no plans to go super deep, anywhere past recreational limits that I'm qualified for ~30m.

Unfortunately I have never paid too much attention to what regs I've been renting - but I must say, none have felt terrible and I've never really felt like I "lacked air" - even if 3-4 knot (according to boat captain) currents.

My only stipulation is that the regs must be DIN. I've seen yoke o-rings blow underwater and it was scary.

Hopefully that's enough info. If not, just ask!

Question is: Can I realistically go for almost any DIN reg or does the description above lead your mind to a particular brand / model?

Just pick one.
Sealed does make maintenance easier on you. DIN isn’t immune to blown o-rings but at least you’ll know it’s your fault if it does blow.

Buy once rather than following a costly upgrade path by purchasing 2 or 3 regs over 10 years.

Look at the Apeks XTX50. From their website "The XTX50 is for the discerning diver who wants the benefits of a feature-rich regulator at a moderate price."( LOL. Are you discerning?) Pay attention to what the guides and cave divers use, and Apeks is a trusted brand. Apeks regs will last you for a decade or more, and maintenance kits are globally available.

May I also recommend that you buy two XTX50 and use one for your Octopus rather than a less expensive option. My rationale is that if your buddy is in a situation where he needs to use your Octopus, it will be an intense situation, and you will want your Octopus to be a high performer. At that point in time, you will be glad you paid $40 more for a high performer XTX50 Octopus. (My two cents!)

Good luck with your purchase.

GJS

If you have been using rentals and they were decent performers. Shop the shop that supplied them. It would seem they were up on their game as far as keeping them in good operating condition. Thus I think they and you would do well with what they sell. One other suggestion, don't do the cheap on the octo. I like something that is as good as my primary and think the extra expense is worth it.

Minimum water temperature in Sydney (colder of the 2 places) is 17 degrees - so no need for sealed regs.

Sealed first stage isn't just for colder water, it also helps a great deal in reducing maintenance issues and increases reliability.

My only stipulation is that the regs must be DIN
Almost all regulators I know of come in Yoke or DIN configuration so it isn't an issue (almost but not all :) )

My recommendations:

1. Atomic Z2 or M1 with sealed first stages.

2. Scubapro Mk21, Mk17 or MK11 with C370 (MK21 or MK11 first stages aren't sealed but they are great first stages).

The above are the top of the top for your profile. I am not sure if Atomic is available in your area but Scubapro will be available for sure. You need to make sure that local service is available for your equipment.

Third option will be Apeks regulators. The XTX50 will most likely be the best option.

The Apeks XTX is a good reg. I got my wife an XL4 and am slightly envious of the lower weight. But for what you want to do, pretty much anything should work. I think at that point, the fit of the mouthpiece is more important - get the reg you like and a few mouthpieces from various manufacturers and see what feels best. I would watch for no plastic covers on the first stage if you get a cheaper model; I have seen them break both on surface and under water.

I’d go with scubapro. Mk21 first stage, and a700 or s600 or g260 second stage, whichever you prefer most.

Thanks all. I've got one eye on the future too so I'm not going to cheap out with the one thing giving me (or me if I primary donate) air :)

I've seen a deal on a set: Halcyon H50D first stage with Aura second + octopus (matched pair) for $900AUD ($615USD). Seems like a good deal?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom