rEvo RMS (split from "Two new studies")

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dived something like 4 more days in a row after that, with no battery issues.

I also dived numerous other weekends with those bad components still in there. I never noticed any premature battery drain issues.

The failure mode for the Sol and O2 RMS boards is that they stay in the continually 'on' state i.e. they are continually drawing power circa 500 milliamps, as opposed 20-40 milliamps. One of the rEvo's safety features is that the system is designed to automatically provide power from the internal battery as soon as the external battery dies. If a probe dies, the failure mode is a Red X on the Controller screen.

Had my REVO for about 2 years (purchased second hand, and in average condition but cheap). Soon as I bought it I had to replace both probes, the solenoid and O2 boards, send away the Predator for work. The Predator would not turn off unless the 9v battery was removed. Battery drain on the 9V allowed it to last about 7 days. In the end I replaced everything electrical, stripped it down and cleaned everything, serviced regs. Replaced inflator valve.

It was continuously flattening the battery until I replaced both solenoid and O2 boards. Replaced the Dream with a NERD. Fitted a BOV. Now it works reliably without missing a beat and I have confidence in it. (battery now lasts for about 3 months or so). Wish the Predator was a Petrel as I hate the lithium batteries but $2500 is a bit much just to not use lithium.

What do I like about REVO. Well I like the 5 cells, with the Predator and NERD. That's true redundancy, not just piggybacking off cells which is not true redundancy. I also like the 2 canisters which minimises the risk of channelling. I know others have differing opinions and that's fine but for me, the above is important.

I run RMS and have had no issues with it once I had the probes replaced.

The failure mode for the Sol and O2 RMS boards is that they stay in the continually 'on' state i.e. they are continually drawing power circa 500 milliamps, as opposed 20-40 milliamps. One of the rEvo's safety features is that the system is designed to automatically provide power from the internal battery as soon as the external battery dies. If a probe dies, the failure mode is a Red X on the Controller screen.

It has been 6 months, so my memory is certainly suspect, but I believe I still had a Red X on the controller screen even when I had 2 good probes in and it was just the solenoid board that was bad.

Regardless, I definitely had a bad solenoid board in my unit for several months and I did not have to replace any batteries any more often than I do now, with everything working - which is to say the 9V battery generally lasts at least 2 months and the Shearwater Predator (controller) battery lasts even longer.

It has been 6 months, so my memory is certainly suspect, but I believe I still had a Red X on the controller screen even when I had 2 good probes in and it was just the solenoid board that was bad.

Regardless, I definitely had a bad solenoid board in my unit for several months and I did not have to replace any batteries any more often than I do now, with everything working - which is to say the 9V battery generally lasts at least 2 months and the Shearwater Predator (controller) battery lasts even longer.
Can I ask how you diagnosed that you had a faulty solenoid board?

Can I ask how you diagnosed that you had a faulty solenoid board?

Put a basket in the O2 side and see that it registers temperatures in the Scrubber+ page for that. Turn off the controller, move the basket to the solenoid side, turn the controller back on, and see that it does not register temps from the probe when it's on that side. Controller off. Basket back to O2 side. Controller on. See that that basket is back to showing temps.

Replace solenoid board with new one. Verify that basket shows temps in either side of the scrubber.

What annoys me the most about the rMS is that even when turned off on my Predator, it will still occasionally throw off a TEMP PROBE FAILED message on my Predator.
Which inspires perfect confidence in the underlying code and the algorithm of the thing when it is on, this goes without saying...

Never had that issue or any other since I replaced everything

What annoys me the most about the rMS is that even when turned off on my Predator, it will still occasionally throw off a TEMP PROBE FAILED message on my Predator.
Which inspires perfect confidence in the underlying code and the algorithm of the thing when it is on, this goes without saying...

Sounds like when you turn off rMS in the Predator settings, the code is simply turning off the display of the rMS info, rather than turning off the display AND turning off the actual monitoring of it. Speaking as someone who writes software for a living, this sounds like they took the simpler approach which is, in my opinion, generally better.

Never had that issue or any other since I replaced everything
So? You are not in the situation I am in (defective probes, rMS functionality turned off) AFAIU.

Sounds like when you turn off rMS in the Predator settings, the code is simply turning off the display of the rMS info, rather than turning off the display AND turning off the actual monitoring of it. Speaking as someone who writes software for a living, this sounds like they took the simpler approach which is, in my opinion, generally better.

I see. Flashing annoying bogus error messages in a life supporting device is OK then.
There is normalization of deviance, and then there is normalization of design sloppiness, I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom