new diver - first dive problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like you are ligament. I apologize for being flippant. Understand, your initial post raised all the red flags and triggered all the alarms for the typical ScubaBoard “troll”. Honestly, your task loading is completely off the charts for a beginner. I assume you are an experienced freediver, but for this type of diving I strongly suggest obtaining AOW, Nitrox and Solo Diver training. As @johndiver999 stated earlier, a pony bottle is an essential piece of gear for hunting solo. Please be more careful in the future and ease into this scuba thing a little more gracefully and safely.

I'll echo what Soloist said. If I sounded harsh it was as I said earlier, your "adventure" just sounded too incredible to be real. Most people aren't comfortable doing their first dive following OW certification without the instructor, but you went for the gusto right off the bat.

I'm glad you're okay. Please don't do that again until you have more experience and the proper training/equipment.

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice! I realize now more than ever how stupid that was. Idiot! Actually, I don't even see why it would be fun in going very deep if it's going to be shorter. Like sex, I would want it to last a long time.
One thing I was wondering is if it would have been safer to rest awhile at the surface, then free dive down to the anchor? I think I calculated it would be fine as I saw my instructor go up and down three times as other students couldn't control themselves and shot to the surface from 55 feet. But today I feel like I have an ever so slight tingling sensation in my right hand, like I slept on my arm. It could all be in my head worrying about it, also.
Thanks again everyone - looking forward to many more (safe) dives!

@Matt, DCS has a lot of unknowns. This post makes me think you are freediving post dive. IMO it may not be a good idea after scuba diving to 100FSW to be freediving especially back down to 100FSW or any depth >30FSW. I often snorkel around with Mrs. AD post dive, but I wouldn't be freediving to any significant depth.

@Matt Spear Definitely check this out. It's a great resource.
And thank you. And if you or anyone else have suggestions for improvements, my ears are ALWAYS open. I am not shy in my opinion that all agencies, every single one, have poor materials for teaching dive planning. I'd like to help as many people as I can.

....all agencies, every single one, have poor materials for teaching dive planning...

100% agree. It amazes me that something like your dive planning doc hasn't been produced commercially. Every open water student should come away from their course with knowledge contained in that doc.

100% agree. It amazes me that something like your dive planning doc hasn't been produced commercially. Every open water student should come away from their course with knowledge contained in that doc.

While my doc is focused on my region, covering all regions in the world is logistically a large task, but possible. Given that most of the market just wants to be at the scuba diver level with following guides around, I don't see agencies putting too much effort in dive planning. It isn't rocket science. I was able to put this document together with the help of others. Imagine what any agency, even small ones, with all their resources, could do. One person could probably do a pretty good job in 6 months covering the world. Once it is done, updates would be minimal overhead.

And stay alive and stay out of Accidents and Incidents
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

full.jpg

Unless you're a businessman

Back
Top Bottom