sinus congestion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luv2dive

Reaction score
I live in North Alabama and now that I'm a diver I have noticed that my sinus are always an issue! It's not that they are infected all the time but there is always some drainage happening Usually clear, Is this going to be a problem diving ?

I am not a medical doctor, but I had the same problem you described. My doctor blamed it on allergies! Spring is the worst time for me too! Instead of prescribing pills though, he put me on a steroidal nasal spray (Nasarel) and that has worked fabulously. I was quite worried since I dive NitrOx and certain meds are contraindicated since they are neural excitors. It has improved my day to day life as well as my SCUBA diving!

I am not a doctor, blah, blah,...

Sinuses may get obstructed by mucus. This may lead to sinus squeeze. Symptoms: facial pane, headache :bonk:, blood in the mask on ascending. Not realy serious usually. I would take measures if it occurs on regular basis though.

More info on my homepage , tag 'medical', item 'Pressure related problems - Sinuses'

Netdoc, that's interesting, a prescription decongestant that's effective. I guess I'll have to take back what I said 6 mos ago. Have you tried Entex? That stuff is worthless, IMO.

Nasal steroids are not primarily decongestant. They have that effect to a certain extent, but the primary effect is blocking inflammation.

I have had good success treating many patients with chronic clearing difficulties using these agents. and in most cases they work very well. They aren't perfect (what is?) but they are nice for many people.

They usually start working within 48 to 72 hours and seem to act by inhibiting the allergic reaction that is the culprit behind much nasal congestion.

At least one study shows them improving results in sinus infection.

The decongestants just constrict blood vessels.
The corticosteroids block the tissue reaction to the irritating agent and decrease congestion that way.

Think of it in terms of applying cortisone cream to a rash. just as cortisone blocks the reaction within the skin that produces the swelling and the itch, the steroid sprays block a similar reaction in the nasal and pharyngeal tissues.

If you have a chronic clearing problem, or a dive trip coming up and a cold or sinus problem, discuss them with your doc before the ear trauma occurs.
Blow bubbles in the ocean, Not your ears.

John

Thanks for the info, I now have an RX for Flonase and started taking it this morning. I'm hoping in a couple of weeks it will be working so I can dive soon. :)

I am learning to dive and I am glad I found this post, I have lots of trouble with my sinus, mostly allergies. I am going to the doctor today and discuss this with him. I will mention the nasal spray to him. Thanks for the idea!

Hello.
I just completed my confined water excercise during the excellerated PADI course. The first two days weren't much of a problem because we didn't go to the bottom of the pool (13feet) Except while snorkling.
But boy when we put on the Scuba gear on Sunday. We ened up in the deep end to do the more advanced training and a few things happened:

1. It took me a long time to get down to depth because of equalizing problems. (I hand't read Doc's home page on Eq'ing yet). Then it was a constant battle to stay Eq'd while there. I mean on foot of change of depth and there I was with my nose in my fingers again. The right ear seemed to Eq pretty easily. But the left ear. I could hear a noise similar to when you are making that squeeking noise with a blown up balloon when I was pressurizing it.
2 Surfacing took Forever too. Most of the rest of the class had already surfaced and I was still hovering around 5 or 6 feet because it was pretty painful. I think it took about 5 minutes total to feel enough relief to finally make it to the surface. ears popping and what not.
3. Ever since, the left ear has been pretty cloudy (You know it feels full-up) and I've had a slight headache. Decongestants don't seem to make a whole lot of a difference either.
4. When I tilt my head slightly foward, I can feel the pressure moving around in my sinuses. I've been able to get my ears to pop with relative ease, but still no relief from the pressure and the head ache persists.

I have an appointment with my ENT on Friday. And I have my Cert dive on the 18th. I was curious to get your all opinion on what could be causing my grief and any one who might be able to help me to elleviate the PAIN? I'm not dieing. But life isn't as sweet as normal........

Thanks again. This really is the coolest place to get information!

Mad_diver!
:upset:

When I did my OWC I was having problems equalizing also. The second dive was the worst. I ended up with double ear infections with 2 rounds of anti-biotics and finally a dos pack (steroids) that cleared it up. I am sooo careful now to equalize the moment I start decending. I've started taking a nasal steriod daily ( flonase ) and I can really tell that is helping my sinuses. But truthfully I can always feel a drainage in my right ear and I am always aware that I may not be able to equalize and will have to abort the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom