Fiona Sharp death in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's result on diving air; when the WOB as tested by NEDU of an Inspiration at 300ft on Heliox is 2.98J/L at 75lpm?

If that is the question, AFAIK they certify for no-stop dives with bottom times around 5 minutes tops. That's not long enough to oxtox and shouldn't be long enough to build up CO2 to dangerous levels either. I expect.

Well, that's interesting, since air was confirmed by multiple sources.
I'll see what I can track down.....there are not that many first-hand sources here (I'm still at Buddy Dive).
I’m sitting in a bar now with her buddy for the previous week, a NPS DSO. Maybe you met him. He teamed up with her because they were both on AP rebreathers. He also confirms. Maybe there is a bunch of bum dope out there?

I believe these to be her bottles. I will try and get confirmation. And it is always possible that was was written on them is not what was in them.
20191022_193706.jpg

I believe these to be her bottles. I will try and get confirmation. And it is always possible that was was written on them is not what was in them.
View attachment 546293

Interesting that there is not a date or initials on the analysis. Impossible to know whether she even analyzed them or not.

Interesting that there is not a date or initials on the analysis. Impossible to know whether she even analyzed them or not.
Buddy Dive typically removes stickers when they refill a tank. So those are probably new, not old stickers. Also, many folks do not analyze a tank after an air fill. As RB tanks, they were filled in the tech shop at BD, and I do not know whether the tech shop puts stickers on when they fill, or if those are stickers she put on.
Here is her 80% AL40, for comparison. I do not have a picture of her other 40.
20191019_081348.jpg

Her dil pO2 would be 2.0 if she was using 20/20 at 300’ - as soon as she activated her adv it would be high. I get that she could metabolize some of it down but as soon she does she has to replace that loss of loop volume with a high pO2 mix.

My experience has been on wrecks and walls that went down to 300’+ with a high He mix so admittedly I don’t think I’ve ever tried to use up O2 to lower my actual pO2 all I’ve had to do is Fire the adv to bring my pO2 down.

My recollection of running it manually with a low set point was it didn’t change quickly. At that depth I was basically just using the diluent for both O2 and loop volume.

it would be informative to see what her actual pO2 was through the dive. Maybe someone will let us know if she was able to keep it lower than 1.6.
Lots of people use a "hot" dil instead of oxygen once you are past the point where a mCCR orifice cuts off. Like they might use 50% as an o2 source at 300ft. Its not really as dramatic a ppO2 pulse as you're suggesting here.

Narcosis and WOB would still be insane but ppo2 not necessarily

Thanks to everyone for kind wishes, I'm Fiona's brother. I've been scouring the internet trying to find out what went wrong. I'm an open water diver and was going for nitrox certification next year to stir the **** out of her... But reading through everyone's pseudo analysis give's me some idea. Hopefully we can learn from this...

Welcome, Big Rob, and my condolences. Thanks for sharing your perspective. I've often wondered how family members would feel upon seeing these threads. It seemed a little paternalistic to assume that those out there Googling would be unable to handle these discussions yet unable to look away, but I wouldn't know. I do know I've already learned a lot from this thread, and whether any of it applies to your sister, it could save my life someday.

Back
Top Bottom