SeaQuest QD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luv2dive

Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a BC for my huband. I got my OWC in August and decided I needed a built in buddy so I convinced him to sign up for the Sept OWC. We are interested in rec diving fresh water quarries frequently (when the water warms up) and Coz or Bonaire yearly. I'd love to surprise my husband with a BC for his B'day. The LDS said SeaQuest QD would be a good middle priced BC for him. Does anybody know of any other BC's to compare to this one? :sun:

I like the looks of the "balance" and its back inflate concept, but here are some upbeat remarks on the QD.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t4917/s.html

Beuchat makes a comparable line in the "masterlift". They are well made. I've noted before that these jacket BC's sometimes need an crotchstrap.

I have a SeaQuest Pro QD+, and I think it's great BC. Regardless of price, I think it's the best jacket-type BC around.

Make sure you are getting a Pro QD+:
- The SeaQuest QuickDraw is a totally different BC, and IMHO not as good a BC.
- The SeaQuest Pro QD (as opposed to the QD+) was discontinued after 2001. Although the QD and QD+ are almost the same, you may have some leverage to ask for a better price if your shop is trying to get rid of the older model.

The Pro QD is an awesome BC... there is nothing bad to be said about it. Any seaquest bc is great... the QD is top notch and if he wants a vest inflation system it really can't be beat in my opinion.

HOWEVER... I was converted after only one dive to back inflation systems. I really like the balance as well..

I finally ended up with a TransPac II which is totally different than either of others mentioned.

My best advice is to start diving and try stuff first to find what works/fits the best.

Good Luck :D

I use the Pro QD. I have never used any other so I honestly couldn't give you a fair comparison (unless you consider the rental BC from the LDS I used for my first pool session).

I thoroughly enjoy the Pro QD and would recommend it to anyone for rec diving.

I have just bought a Pro QD+ and think it an excellent BC for the money. It is 90% of the Pro Unlimited for about 60% of the price. It's very comfortable and what they term the depth compensating waistband does work.

My only concern with buying one for your husband as a Birthday surprise is (1) how you can sure you have the right size and (2) what if he's harbours a secret desire for a back inflation BC such as the Balance.

Suggest you involve in him the decision.

You are on the right track in chosing a Seaquest QD+. With respect to the size to buy (as Welshman pointed out) the Seaquest Brochure has a size chart that will help in chosing the right size. Beyond that, just make sure your LDS knows it's a gift and they'll be prepared to make sure everything is right after you've popped the suprise.

When I purchased mine, I did a pool checkout and compared several other BC's to the Seaquest before making the purchase.
Nice option to have and, of course, another excuse to make bubbles.

JustJim

I use the Pro qd and love it however; I recently tried my freind's dive rite with the sandard wings and liked even more.

the prob with the dive rite is that there is very little pocket room.

I really supported my LDS today. I bought BC REG OCT COMP & GAUGES all for about $500 more than if I had paid online. That was with a discount. Scuba politics.

Luv2Dive

$500 is alot of money (133 tanks charges ... or, another BC ... or, another reg...). BUT, in the long run it'll probably payoff.

From personal experience, I am definitely glad that I bought my reg at a local dive shop. I've only owned my current reg for about 6 months, but I've already taken it to the dive shop 4 times to get it tweaked, to change hose configurations, etc. (but, no repairs). I've even gotten instruction on how to do some of the work myself. But, I am never charged for this type of service.

Also, you may want to check to see if your dive shop sponsors a dive club. Many dive shops in this area give special discounts to their dive club members. The dive shop I frequent gives its club members discounts on gear, instruction, boat trips and free tank charges. I've seen several other dive shops that offer similar benefits to its members.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom