First stage hitting head with BP&wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out the Scubapro X-Tek STA, you can set the top cam band lower which buys you a few cm. This and inverting my DIN first stage solved the same issue for me.

Why then are twinset bands set as high as possible with the top band level with the crown of the cylinder

that way they are high enough, if you bring your head a lil back you will feel your isolator.
When I changed from a jacket to a single tank wing it did feel a lil weird with the first stage so close but you get used to it and stop noticing. So unless he hits the stage while watching downwards it might just take some time to get used to it.

I am around 5 10 165 pound

Then I suspect you will be more comfortable if you make your shoulder straps longer. This also makes it easier to get your arms in and out.

A picture of you wearing the back plate would be helpful in figuring out your problem.

that way they are high enough, if you bring your head a lil back you will feel your isolator.
When I changed from a jacket to a single tank wing it did feel a lil weird with the first stage so close but you get used to it and stop noticing. So unless he hits the stage while watching downwards it might just take some time to get used to it.
I dove with it today and never hit my head entering the water. I guess your post makes sense where you just get used to it. It was really only hitting my head when I looked up higher than usual after I adjusted the straps... I may try getting rid of the top cam if it really starts bothers me. I think I will dive with it a few more times before I switch it up I only have like 3 dives on it as of now.

It was really only hitting my head when I looked up higher than usual after I adjusted the straps...

You might be fine then.

Consider tilting your head to look up sideways rather than straight up. That way you see more anyway. Say you want to shoot a DSMB, quick roll with sideways look up in both directions gives you a much better view than a straight look up.

But if you constantly hit your first stage when just looking straight ahead, which requires your head to be tilted back a bit if you are in good trim, then it is time to think about getting it out of the way a bit more.

Taken the above into consideration, I'd try to go as high as possible so your valve is easier to reach and your hoses do not clash so much with a fully inflated wing.

Your rig looks fine to me. I dive mostly doubles with the xtek system, so I have my tank just high enough to reach the valves. If you reach over you shoulders with your elbows tight against your chest you should be able to just touch the top of your plate. With a single tank adaptor you should be able to lower your bands on the plate.

DIN might help...provided you can always get compatible tanks. The DIN to yoke converter brings the first stage even closer to your head.

I have a Halcyon bp/w, which also has the double cam bands at fixed locations, and I actually really like it for getting my tank positioned just right. The top band sits as high as it can go, and that means I can reach my valve without bonking my head. I did have help from an instructor in getting all the straps adjusted properly. ETA: I also have a yoke valve, and I'm almost the exact same size as you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom