Instabuddy diving with a mirror

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maudiver216

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

Just a question about gear. I went drift diving with a friend of mine off of Pompano Beach, FL on Sunday and we were paired up with a cave diver who had a mirror attached to his wrist. I was wondering what this was for, as I completely forgot about it as soon as we got back on the boat and didn't ask him. Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks

I should have specified that it was a convex mirror. I'm not sure how easy it would be to use as a signalling device with this sort of shape.

Hello all,

Just a question about gear. I went drift diving with a friend of mine off of Pompano Beach, FL on Sunday and we were paired up with a cave diver who had a mirror attached to his wrist. I was wondering what this was for, as I completely forgot about it as soon as we got back on the boat and didn't ask him. Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks
I'm an SSI Open Water Instructor and use the same mirror on my wrist, so that I can quickly check on other divers while I'm leading dives without being forced to physically turn around. It works great and can double as an emergency signal mirror. I hope this answers your question!

I carry a signal mirror. I can see use for a convex though. Could someone provide a photo or link of the convex they use.

Been handing these to DMs and OWSIs for years.

I make them out of plastic “baby watching car mirrors” and a bit of Velcro.

I attach mine to my backup (daytime use) flashlight, wrapping it on with Velcro.

Serious photogs have mounted them on their photo rigs so they know if there’s “a line” behind them.

The primary use is for checking on the following herd.

That, and annoying Damselfish.

@Doc
Who Does not log dives
Who is not certified
Who was PADI before numbers
?????????????????????????

Doc perhaps you can possibly recall, since you were PADI before numbers, the first diving accessory company founded by the late Bob Mitchel in San Diego, California called
~~~~ Aqua Craft ? ~~~~

In the very early 1970s - Now almost 50 years ago actually 49 years ago to be exact- Aqua craft introduced the "Buddy Mirror" as part number A-192.

It had a strong resemblance to Amazon.com: Caravoo Baby Watching Wrist Mirror (baby blue).

Like the Caravoo, the Aqua Craft model also was wrist mounted and featured an unbreakable and non-tarnishing mirror surface.

As you possibly recall the Aqua Craft model was not well received by the divers of that era and soon disappeared from the market place. In all my many years of diving locally, nationally and internationally
I have never seen a diver with a rear view mirror - but I was informed many times never say never

What is old is now new- what is old and now unavailable is now new and improvised

I commend you on your improvising of a diving rear view mirror

SDM
LA Co UW instructor #11 (waaaaay before PADI)
NAUI Instructor #A27 (waay before PADI)
PADI Instructor 241 (personally presented by John Cronin)

@maudiver216

Back
Top Bottom