Scuba Diving Ponta do Ouro Mozambique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaii Fredregill

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
1200_pontodoouro_08_19-41.jpg

We paid a visit to the laid-back town of Ponta do Ouro, Mozambique, where we enjoyed a week of relaxation, scuba diving, delicious meals and inviting culture. This lovely seaside town has excellent marine biodiversity along its shores and remains an affordable destination for divers and other travelers.
Scuba Diving Ponta do Ouro, Mozambique | My Mola

jfe, some advice on where to sleep and where to dive ?
I always stay at the Beach Resort. It's very informal and I also dive with them. Self catering and there is a mix of divers so you are constantly interacting with other divers and dive groups. The village is within walking distance where you can buy all your provisions. What I like about the place is the ease of it, you wash and hang your gear in a dedicated area for that. They do services should you need and refils. I have personally never been disapointed with them.
Ponta Beach Resort Main Camp

jfe, some advice on where to sleep and where to dive ?
We actually weren't thrilled with where we stayed, so it sounds like jfe has a good recommendation.

If I had it to do again I would just book the first night or two and find a place once I arrive. We got a deal on what is supposed to be one of the nicer places near the main road but it was not nicer than the smaller, less expensive places.

I would dive with Gozo Azul as I did the first time. They're very good and will know where to take you depending on conditions and time of year. They also have a bar and nice common space so we met a lot of divers here.

Hello Jaii, as you seem to have a decent level as diver, I recommend you to dive with Mike, South African owner / skipper / guide of BLOWING BUBBLES – Diving in Ponta do Ouro, Mozambique

It's true, Mike has no bar, but you have the Ponta beach bar just in front of the dive center. Or you bring your own beers, there is a fridge ! (always welcome after diving).
This is what you can call a really cool diving center. Mike is a good skipper, he's diving there for +/-10 years, so he knows the places... His 2 local employees Carlos and Jaime (Charlie and James) are very kind, efficient, discreet.
No crowd, no hurry, no boring briefing, no harrasing divemaster making noise with his shaker every 2 minutes, no dive time limit, no stress... a real delight to have been there.
Avoid 1st week of dec. until 1st week of january, South African holidays, too crowdy.
Best divesites : Pinnacles, Atlantis, Doodles

Accomodations : Gamboozini or Gala-Gala (4x4 is better), in fact you have many possibilities, there are dozens of them (see also Ponta beach, preferred of jfe) .
Best situation : Sapphire Sands (go to see the terrace bar) !.

Food : also many possibilities, we prefered Pontas Restaurante (main crossing). The best one seems to be in Ponta Malongane (7 kms from Ponta do Ouro) but we didn't try it.

Hello Jaii, as you seem to have a decent level as diver, I recommend you to dive with Mike, South African owner / skipper / guide of BLOWING BUBBLES – Diving in Ponta do Ouro, Mozambique

It's true, Mike has no bar, but you have the Ponta beach bar just in front of the dive center. Or you bring your own beers, there is a fridge ! (always welcome after diving).
This is what you can call a really cool diving center. Mike is a good skipper, he's diving there for +/-10 years, so he knows the places... His 2 local employees Carlos and Jaime (Charlie and James) are very kind, efficient, discreet.
No crowd, no hurry, no boring briefing, no harrasing divemaster making noise with his shaker every 2 minutes, no dive time limit, no stress... a real delight to have been there.
Avoid 1st week of dec. until 1st week of january, South African holidays, too crowdy.
Best divesites : Pinnacles, Atlantis, Doodles

Accomodations : Gamboozini or Gala-Gala (4x4 is better), in fact you have many possibilities, there are dozens of them (see also Ponta beach, preferred of jfe) .
Best situation : Sapphire Sands (go to see the terrace bar) !.

Food : also many possibilities, we prefered Pontas Restaurante (main crossing). The best one seems to be in Ponta Malongane (7 kms from Ponta do Ouro) but we didn't try it.
I can also recommend Blowing Bubbles, I spent three weeks between Jan 15 - Feb 15th 2023 diving with them and did Pinnacles 30 times. Each dive at Pinnacles had at least 4 species of shark plus rays. Mike knows what he is doing and reads the current well, some days we dropped 5kms off of the Pinnacles so we could float over it. Other divers who dove at other shops actually joined our boat as they were not having as successful dives and also not as many Pinnacle trips were planned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom