Gear checkup before a dive - secret checks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I go over my equipment post cleaning/drying and inspect it as I pack it up, bp/w, regs, fins, exposure gear goes in a big Pelican air box, pony and accessory clutter into a small box. I like these boxes because they are hard shell and sealed air tight, so if they are packed well, not much can happen on the way to the site or marina.

Other than tools/spares, and seasonal exposure gear variation reflected in what I pack, I always take exactly what goes in the water with me.

For gearing up, I made my own pre-dive checklist with the acronym
BLACK PAW(S)

BCD (hose connected, inflator button test, pull dump, orally inflate wing for entry). Also includes the drysuit inflator check, if I wear one.

Lights (both lights present, chest D ring light bungeed neatly)

Accessories (spare mask, DSMB, whistle in suit pockets)

Computer (on wrist, correct nitrox is set, battery ok)

Knives (Knife and trilobite both present)

Pony (gas turned on, hose neatly bungeed, check pressure and test breathe)

Air (main gas on, pressure ok on computer, and test breathe)

Weights (correct setup for chosen exposure gear based on a list I have)

Slate (optional - when solo diving, depending on the site, I may jot down a contour of the shoreline or site, north point/compass heading info to help navigate back, distance in m converted into kick cycles, turn pressure if relevant)

I run through this when I set up, and once again briefly before I get in.

When buddy diving, I like it if we can give each other an overview of the important parts of each other’s equipment.

I don’t let DMs swap my tanks on boats to make sure my regs stay dry, the tank is at the right height, and nothing gets fiddled with carelessly.

If there are communal rinse tanks on boat trips, I only use it for a quick rinse but have my own rinse routine at home. There is simply no time to do it thoroughly in that setting.

I look after my gear and know that I can trust it at the start of every dive. I use my safety stop to practice or contemplate what to do when certain failures strike, which is always possible, what it would feel/sound like, what the most important thing to get control of would be (e.g., inflator disconnect and air dump, spare mask deployment, or switching to bailout gas).

The only less objective check list may be an attempt to keep my movements slow, controlling the mindset to be ‘observe, think, act’, and watching my breathing to gauge comfort and stay clear of the potential for panic. Gear and theory won’t help you if your head fails you. Equipment failure can be practiced, but won’t assist at all if there’s a stressful situation to manage that has nothing to do with it, and depending on the diving, the latter may be far more likely.

Nice mnemonic, Divectionist....I like it.

I’m glad I’m not alone in having a deep aversion to non-dive buddies touching my kit.

My life, my kit, my responsibility.

My wife and I are researching a dive vacation to the Caymans. I saw lots of advertisements for “valet diving”. I called and told LCBR and CBBR I don’t like anyone touching my or my wife’s and asked if the valet services were mandatory. I re-assured them I wasn’t looking at how to cut costs but that “valet diving” is not, IMO, the type of diving that reinforces good dive habits.

On LOBs, if the charter provides onboard fills, I’m happy to pull off my first stage but I ask they leave it off and I’ll put it back on.

Also, no matter the type of diving, break down, rinsing, drying and packing are my responsibilities and the sequence of opportunity for thorough equipment inspection.

As a cave diver we don't use BWRAF. I found it doesn't really work that well. Were taught the following...

First is Bubble Check
Second is gear check

Right to Left.
Top to Bottom.
Front to Back.

Lets begin...
(Me) Right arm - nothing on my right arm
(You) Right arm - ...
(Me) Right D Ring and general area around the D ring - Cave markers - Long Hose Reg
(You) Right D Ring and general area around the D ring - ...
all the way over to the Left Arm.
Then top of head to your feet - Helmet weights pockets fins etc.
Back to the Butt D ring.

Third is air/gas check
Regs must both be breathed from with face in the water. Your answer should be... "Long hose reg breathes easy and dry" "short hose breathes easy and dry"
Air/Gas pressures are discussed. Turn pressures are discussed.

Fourth - is dive plan.

Remember to check batteries too. Everything that needs batteries has batteries and is functioning, and everything that needs charging is fully charged or has enough of a charge.

The Philippinos I dive with say “Breakfast With Rice And Fish” to make the mnemonic stick.
Being Wary Reduces All Failures :)

my secret check is tighten the OPDVs. had a few surprised looks on the boats lol.

I go over my equipment post cleaning/drying and inspect it as I pack it up, bp/w, regs, fins, exposure gear goes in a big Pelican air box, pony and accessory clutter into a small box. I like these boxes because they are hard shell and sealed air tight, so if they are packed well, not much can happen on the way to the site or marina.

Other than tools/spares, and seasonal exposure gear variation reflected in what I pack, I always take exactly what goes in the water with me.

For gearing up, I made my own pre-dive checklist with the acronym
BLACK PAW(S)

BCD (hose connected, inflator button test, pull dump, orally inflate wing for entry). Also includes the drysuit inflator check, if I wear one.

Lights (both lights present, chest D ring light bungeed neatly)

Accessories (spare mask, DSMB, whistle in suit pockets)

Computer (on wrist, correct nitrox is set, battery ok)

Knives (Knife and trilobite both present)

Pony (gas turned on, hose neatly bungeed, check pressure and test breathe)

Air (main gas on, pressure ok on computer, and test breathe)

Weights (correct setup for chosen exposure gear based on a list I have)

Slate (optional - when solo diving, depending on the site, I may jot down a contour of the shoreline or site, north point/compass heading info to help navigate back, distance in m converted into kick cycles, turn pressure if relevant)

I run through this when I set up, and once again briefly before I get in.

When buddy diving, I like it if we can give each other an overview of the important parts of each other’s equipment.

I don’t let DMs swap my tanks on boats to make sure my regs stay dry, the tank is at the right height, and nothing gets fiddled with carelessly.

If there are communal rinse tanks on boat trips, I only use it for a quick rinse but have my own rinse routine at home. There is simply no time to do it thoroughly in that setting.

I look after my gear and know that I can trust it at the start of every dive. I use my safety stop to practice or contemplate what to do when certain failures strike, which is always possible, what it would feel/sound like, what the most important thing to get control of would be (e.g., inflator disconnect and air dump, spare mask deployment, or switching to bailout gas).

The only less objective check list may be an attempt to keep my movements slow, controlling the mindset to be ‘observe, think, act’, and watching my breathing to gauge comfort and stay clear of the potential for panic. Gear and theory won’t help you if your head fails you. Equipment failure can be practiced, but won’t assist at all if there’s a stressful situation to manage that has nothing to do with it, and depending on the diving, the latter may be far more likely.

As a cave diver we don't use BWRAF. I found it doesn't really work that well. Were taught the following...

First is Bubble Check
Second is gear check

Right to Left.
Top to Bottom.
Front to Back.

Lets begin...
(Me) Right arm - nothing on my right arm
(You) Right arm - ...
(Me) Right D Ring and general area around the D ring - Cave markers - Long Hose Reg
(You) Right D Ring and general area around the D ring - ...
all the way over to the Left Arm.
Then top of head to your feet - Helmet weights pockets fins etc.
Back to the Butt D ring.

Third is air/gas check
Regs must both be breathed from with face in the water. Your answer should be... "Long hose reg breathes easy and dry" "short hose breathes easy and dry"
Air/Gas pressures are discussed. Turn pressures are discussed.

Fourth - is dive plan.

Wow; I really like these posts. Very impressive.@divectionist @Norwegian Cave Diver

I do not secretly touch anyone's gear. If I see something amiss that could cause a problem during the dive I will quietly point it out to the owner. Please do not touch my gear! More than once I have had a buddy from the group swim up to me and make all sorts of frustrated hand signals! Oh, your BC inflater is not hooked up, or, oh, okay, I see your spg is twisted and hooked behind your webbing! You cannot find your octopus or secondary, yep, right here tucked behind your wing/BC. LOL, such things never happen to me of course :wink:! If you did not hook up your pee valve, sorry, you are on your own with that one!!!!!!!!!

On trips once we become familiar with the deck crew and they with us I may let them swap tanks. But I watch them from the corner of my eye. And afterwards, thank them and then do a once over. There are some crews in Cozumel who once they see how fussy I am with my gear and my wife's will be just as fussy, they watch and learn how their customers like to be set up :).

James

A bit outside the personal parameters everyone has mentioned............
Since we primarily boat dive, I check every tank for a bungie strap just as we are leaving the dock. On 85% of boat trips I take, there is usually atleast one tank not bungied in or the bungie is under the reg/valve. I just do it because when the gear takes a 'header' to the floor, it almost always snaps a hose or other problem. Then the finger pointing starts. It's usually a delay or return to the dock for swap and it can add another hour later that we get back to the dock.
It takes 2 seconds to look up and down the bench lines to see a bungie, but it happens all the time.
I learned my lesson the hard way. I did not properly lock the tank using the plastic clips and on a rough ocean, the tank fell onto the deck. Thankfully nothing damaged, but since then I make sure to also use bungee

I do these two things and don’t see many of my buddies do them:
  • Fully inflate the BCD until the auto dump valve activates, then press the BCD to see if it holds the air
  • With the valve closed slightly try to breath your regulator to do a negative pressure check

Back
Top Bottom