Is there really a difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been diving for years with regs from the early 70 to a new Legend but always between 0 and 100'. I can't honestly say I have ever noticed a difference with the only exception being a rental that was way past service and in bad need of one. I always hear people talk about "It's a great breathing reg." or "so much better then my old one."

What am I missing? Is it that you really need to be diving deep to see any change?

I am asking because I am thinking of selling the legend and getting a MK2/G260 for most of my dives.

Under exertion the difference will probably be more noticeable .

Most or all the breathing differences will be in the second stage. If the first stage is delivering 130-140 psi even with draw down or being unbalanced it won’t matter much if the second stage is a high quality balanced model and can overcome erratic IP’s.
I think people imagine a lot of stuff.

Did you mean to say the MK25 or actually meant MK2 here?
No. I mean the simple MK2. I can't tell any difference between my legend and my XIV even swimming against a current and now most of my my tanks are DIN. I am having a hard time finding a DIN kit for my XIVs so I am thinking of a MK2 and selling the legend.

I've noticed a difference with an unbalanced second on an unbalanced 1st as tank pressure got low, but it was rather minor. As to newer does not necessarily mean better, funny as it is, my nicest breather is the Conshelf VI on my pony tank!

What am I missing? Is it that you really need to be diving deep to see any change?

May be nothing. Some are more sensitive to the breathing characteristics of a reg than others, I'm usually happy as long as long as I'm getting air underwater. I can tell the difference in some regs but usually when deep and/or working hard. I feel most differences people see is more about how the reg is tuned, than the brand or model.

I'm with Eric, put a good balanced second on your Mk 2 and you will be pleased as if you change your whole reg out. I personally like balanced 109's myself, although they breathe well, it's probably the chrome.

Bob

Major influence on breathing effort is from 2nd stage membrane diameter.
New models has trend to minimize 2nd stage size.
There is the reasons - lower water stream resistanse; lover 2nd stage bouyancy, due to air ammount inside; lower amount of inner space of 2nd stage allow you to decrease dead volume, that allow you decrease CO2 retention.
All this trends dragging down decreasing membrane size, so - membrane surface is less -> total force from membrane to the valve lever is less
(We keep by default, that breathing effort is equal to "vacuum" pressure inside 2nd stage, proceeded by lungs.)
Force is less -> we need to develop new valve, or have brilliant tiny adjustment of the valve, otherwise effot will too big or you will have freeflow.

Old regulators (2nd) had bigger size of membranes.
Once I had excellent 2nd stage, very old, and very simple -
upload_2019-10-22_12-44-29.png
upload_2019-10-22_12-44-58.png
(sorry, only this pictures I have)
It had very simple valve, unbalanced, but with manual adjustment.
And this 2nd stage had best breathing effort, I ever tested.
(late I got Scubapro BA-109, it had near the same, also with big membrane).
Also exists old Soviet AVM-5 2nd stages with very big membrane:
upload_2019-10-22_12-53-2.png

It even has upstream valve! :) but also it have the fine breathing effort.
So, 2nd stage has difference. And new models does not mean better models.

If you WILL decide - have a look at Scubapro BA-109 (or more modern near-the-same analog G250). Most of divers, who knows this 2nd stages will confirm my recommendation.

Most or all the breathing differences will be in the second stage. If the first stage is delivering 130-140 psi even with draw down or being unbalanced it won’t matter much if the second stage is a high quality balanced model and can overcome erratic IP’s.
I mean the simple MK2.
No, it is not true. 1st stage has very big difference.
First - is 1st stage balanced or not.
If you have unbalanced 2nd - you easy can feel difference.
When you will finishing your tank (air in your tank) - you will have sensitive difference.
BUT! Sometimes it is good! Because when you start to feel difficulties with breathing - it is the reason to make a look at SPG :)
With much experience you be able to feel, when you need to go back, and "Wellcome to our sh!tty world back"

Another difference - is 1st stage HP seat diameter (and inner air channels size).
E.g. once Scubapro makes experiment (in real it was marketing sh!t, but it was in real) - asked to sit down 135 divers in the pool, and breathing from just one 1st stage :) (proof)

As example - there is old Soviet Ukraine-2 1st stage
upload_2019-10-22_13-8-35.png

It is nice, small sized, simple.. but it had small seat orifice, and on the depth, bigger than 20m will not get you as much air, as you demand...

So - conclusion:
- there is the difference in regulators (1st stages) and demand valves (2nd stages).
But not always new is better.
But in my opinion - new balanced 1st stages and some old 2nd stages is good! :)

I just love АлександрД!
You can always count on him to cut to the chase and give you the real truth.
And his final conclusion is spot on!
But not always new is better.
But in my opinion - new balanced 1st stages and some old 2nd stages is good! :)

Back
Top Bottom